General Discussion: random news stories


Show original post
robii
robii avatar

18857 posts since 8/9/06

30 Mar 2012 17:00
Tesco is the only place that has sold out round here. I just drove around for a bit until I found somewhere that was virtually deserted. Needed petrol, by the way, and only put £25 worth in, like usual
india
india avatar

5661 posts since 31/10/05

30 Mar 2012 17:22
http://travel.aol.co.uk/2012/03/29/video-wolves-amazing-reaction-to-return-of-human-friend/?ncid=wsc-uk-travel-image
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12096 posts since 7/3/05

30 Mar 2012 17:22
The real class divide here in the petrol story is between those whole always buy a full tank, and those who just put £10 / £20 in etc for economic reasons.

I can see the panic if the person can only afford to put in say £10 to £20 a pop, because it could run out during a non existent strike.

So you have all these people who prob do 50 to 100 miles per week max filling up with a full fuel tank that will last them 4 to 8 weeks + another 10 litres in cans / fuel boxes.

A tanker only holds 30,000 litres so thats only around 600 full tanks on average. They only usually do 1 run per week.

The supply is not designed to have everyone in the country doing full tanks so that is where it has all fallen down. It would be too peaky and troughy in terms of them predicting supply, eg joe bloggs only buys fuel every 6 to 8 weeks, rather than 1 or 2 per week in smaller quantites.

So the minister made two errors, firstly critical misunderstanding the normal supply struture of the fuel market is based on the majority of users using partial tanks of fuel, and secondly him not getting the concept of not already having a full or 3/4 full tank which is the class divide.

Telling everyone to fill up to max at half a tank or now revised to 3/4 full just means put a quarter of tank in if you normally run on empty, but it was badly phrased due to ignorance.
robii
robii avatar

18857 posts since 8/9/06

30 Mar 2012 17:37
Couldn't have put it better myself…
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14248 posts since 21/2/07

30 Mar 2012 17:44
that and telling people to stockpile anything is stupid enough, not to mention when it's something so ridiculously flammable that you can set set fire to the vapour
DY
DY avatar

9618 posts since 9/6/11

30 Mar 2012 17:45
can't fill up my car anywhere. gotta move as slow as saywords walk/waddling to conserve it

Hello World
Hello World avatar

12096 posts since 7/3/05

30 Mar 2012 17:51
The whole point of the strike, is the movement, collection and decanting of the product is so dangerous because the fumes themselves are explosive and invisible (no shit sherlock) has been undermined due to the use of under trained agency drivers, rather than experienced operators.

They are paid well, that is because they cannot make a single error, the driving part is fine until someone esle hits you, but filling up and decanting is a manual process that if an error is made you have a serious problem, eg that entire storage refinery that blew up a few years ago and killed loads of people.

Again, people just see a high salary, like they do in all high salary jobs and think I could do that, its just driving pipe in pipe out, why are they paid more than me! Then they go back to their non critical jobs making errors all day that dont result in deaths or explosions.
DY
DY avatar

9618 posts since 9/6/11

30 Mar 2012 17:55
35k base salary and paid training + overtime.

They aren't even on strike and its fucking pissing me off
robii
robii avatar

18857 posts since 8/9/06

30 Mar 2012 17:58
Hello World wrote: They are paid well,

Driver was on the news this morning saying that contracts are usually no longer than 6 months (due to jobs being given to agency workers, as you say) so he'd be lucky to work enough hours in a year to earn 47k (or whatever the figure in the press is)
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12096 posts since 7/3/05

30 Mar 2012 18:00
Seems fair to me for a critical infrastructure, no error job with a shit load of personal responsibility.

edit: Based on DY salary statement.

Noble Locks
Noble Locks avatar

66963 posts since 10/7/03

30 Mar 2012 18:13
i put a oner in (which is 254 miles) like i 'always' do every two weeks.
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12096 posts since 7/3/05

30 Mar 2012 18:23
Yeah well I use a tank a week if I go to the office everyday so put £75 ish in on Wednesday

I am undecided if this makes me out of touch with reality because I can afford to spend £300a month on fuel.

To be honest that would be cheaper than getting the train to central london everyday from Kingston at peak time.
DY
DY avatar

9618 posts since 9/6/11

30 Mar 2012 18:25
300 a month on fuel? I drive to london once a month and around midlands every week and don't manage to spend nearly half that, plus its a 2.0ltr, you drive a range rover or something?
InWonderland
InWonderland avatar

2655 posts since 8/2/07

30 Mar 2012 18:33
Hello World wrote: Yeah well I use a tank a week if I go to the office everyday so put £75 ish in on Wednesday

I am undecided if this makes me out of touch with reality because I can afford to spend £300a month on fuel.

To be honest that would be cheaper than getting the train to central london everyday from Kingston at peak time.

S'not.. Zone 1-5 travel card for the month is £191.50..
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12096 posts since 7/3/05

30 Mar 2012 19:45
Yeah I was wrong, its only £205. Must be decently discounted when you buy a month.

Basically I refuse to live where my office is because my quality of life would drastically reduce.

So I drive 110 miles per day. Car is already super economy.

Been discussed before that I am mad to do this.

For the last 6 months I dont go in every day as I am not needed so its not too bad.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23607 posts since 14/10/04

30 Mar 2012 20:03
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2012/mar/30/police-officer-recording-black-man
EVERS
EVERS avatar

8580 posts since 2/7/06

30 Mar 2012 20:45
robii wrote:
Hello World wrote: They are paid well,

Driver was on the news this morning saying that contracts are usually no longer than 6 months (due to jobs being given to agency workers, as you say) so he'd be lucky to work enough hours in a year to earn 47k (or whatever the figure in the press is)

i heard that the longer term permanent workers are the ones striking as their contracts are not really on offer any more due to the cheaper 'temps'. the longer term permanent workers perceive the work as being more skilled hence wanting to protect their earning power. the salaries quotes are for the long term perm guys with overtime.

the converse argument is that tanker driving is not specialised - many liquids are transported in a similar manner and therefore the work should not necessarily command a premium.
Mr X
Mr X avatar

7053 posts since 12/7/07

30 Mar 2012 20:55
Even when he's braggin' Doodle Duck Dandy AKA HW is nonchelant.



Hello World wrote: Yeah well… I use a tank a week if I go to the office everyday so put £75 ish in on Wednesday

I am undecided if this makes me out of touch with reality because I can afford to spend £300a month on fuel.[
Ketters
Ketters avatar

1055 posts since 8/2/11

30 Mar 2012 20:56
Doodle Duck Dandy Laughing out loud
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14248 posts since 21/2/07

30 Mar 2012 21:16
Old username ya noob