General Discussion: random news stories


Show original post
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5961 posts since 1/4/07

24 Oct 2021 23:33
https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/medical-advances/578086-bipartisan-legislators-demand-answers-from-fauci
Centurionone
Centurionone avatar

1754 posts since 30/3/11

29 Oct 2021 13:03
A very unfortunate typo by New York based The Post- journal

phelen
phelen avatar

6797 posts since 16/8/06

posted 29 Oct 2021 13:44, edited 29 Oct 2021 13:44

Political hit job on Fauci.


https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fauci-vaccine-experiment-beagles/

Experiments did take place but there is little evidence to suggest Fauci knew or approved. The grant was approved late during the Trump administration. Research allocations are overseen by Congress and signed off the the sitting President.
MerciBeau
MerciBeau avatar

4435 posts since 7/7/06

29 Oct 2021 13:52
Sticking out tongue
Sholto
Sholto avatar

830 posts since 25/12/12

29 Oct 2021 14:35
phelen wrote: Political hit job on Fauci.
Yep, pretty obvious
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

2074 posts since 15/12/12

posted 29 Oct 2021 16:28, edited 29 Oct 2021 16:28
Sholto wrote:
phelen wrote: Political hit job on Fauci.
Yep, pretty obvious

Meanwhile we’ll ignore every single ‘political hit job’ on Trump for the past 5 years. How’s old Sleepy Joe and his crackhead son doing? Pure criminals.

By the way, whenever someone posts a ‘fact checking’ site instead of thinking for themselves…. Says it all.

Who watches the watchmen?
RickRude
RickRude avatar

4196 posts since 13/1/12

29 Oct 2021 16:59
“Attacks on me, quite frankly, are attacks on science,”

Said Fauci - didn't lie to congress though did he Roll Eyes
phelen
phelen avatar

6797 posts since 16/8/06

29 Oct 2021 17:04
fudge.dredd wrote:
Sholto wrote:
phelen wrote: Political hit job on Fauci.
Yep, pretty obvious

Meanwhile we’ll ignore every single ‘political hit job’ on Trump for the past 5 years. How’s old Sleepy Joe and his crackhead son doing? Pure criminals.

By the way, whenever someone posts a ‘fact checking’ site instead of thinking for themselves…. Says it all.

Who watches the watchmen?

Facts don't care about your feeling.

phelen
phelen avatar

6797 posts since 16/8/06

posted 29 Oct 2021 17:09, edited 29 Oct 2021 17:09
RickRude wrote: “Attacks on me, quite frankly, are attacks on science,”

Said Fauci - didn't lie to congress though did he Roll Eyes

“A lot of what you’re seeing as attacks on me, quite frankly, are attacks on science, because all of the things that I have spoken about, consistently from the very beginning, have been fundamentally based on science,” the nation’s top infectious disease expert said before rebutting the attacks on prior remarks on how the coronavirus originated and the importance of wearing masks to prevent transmission.



“If you go through each and every one of them, you can explain and debunk it immediately,” Fauci said. “I mean, every single one.”

The actual quote.

In all seriousness though, Fauci is right, science is under attack in the US from the far-right.Trump was talking about injecting bleach and bringing light inside the body.

morning mist
morning mist avatar

3693 posts since 29/5/05

29 Oct 2021 18:09
fudge.dredd wrote:
Sholto wrote:
phelen wrote: Political hit job on Fauci.
Yep, pretty obvious

Who watches the watchmen?

RickRude
RickRude avatar

4196 posts since 13/1/12

posted 29 Oct 2021 18:33, edited 29 Oct 2021 18:33
But a lot of what he has said has been proven wrong. He has even admitted that himself. Doesn’t science constantly try to prove itself wrong? Unless you are Fauci?

So he has been attacked - proven wrong - but any attack is an attack on science? I’m confused
phelen
phelen avatar

6797 posts since 16/8/06

29 Oct 2021 19:26
RickRude wrote: But a lot of what he has said has been proven wrong. He has even admitted that himself. Doesn’t science constantly try to prove itself wrong? Unless you are Fauci?

So he has been attacked - proven wrong - but any attack is an attack on science? I’m confused

Can you list some, genuinely interested? The only thing I'm aware of is Fauci being incorrect about face masks in the early stages of Covid where there wasn't sufficient research into the virus. With other Governments and Health Orgs around the world sharing the same feelings. He himself has corrected himself and has changed opinions as science has evolved and see nothing wrong with that.
phelen
phelen avatar

6797 posts since 16/8/06

posted 29 Oct 2021 19:31, edited 29 Oct 2021 19:31
RickRude wrote: But a lot of what he has said has been proven wrong. He has even admitted that himself. Doesn’t science constantly try to prove itself wrong? Unless you are Fauci?

So he has been attacked - proven wrong - but any attack is an attack on science? I’m confused

“Attacks on me, quite frankly, are attacks on science,” does sound like egotistical "I am the science", however, it was edited and should be read in the full context.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

4196 posts since 13/1/12

posted 29 Oct 2021 19:36, edited 29 Oct 2021 19:36
Do the research yourself - it’s in plain sight. Me saying he is wrong is not an attack on left wing, vaccines, science or anything. I’m just opening up dialogue - but as expected we get the same ad hominem attacks. Just awaiting Swede to give hive arbiters opinion and chuck in Brexit for good measure.

Oh he also committed perjury twice in the senate around NIH funding of gain of function research.
swede
swede avatar

10510 posts since 21/3/09

29 Oct 2021 19:50
RickRude wrote: Do the research yourself - it’s in plain sight

Laughing out loud
phelen
phelen avatar

6797 posts since 16/8/06

29 Oct 2021 19:52
RickRude wrote: Do the research yourself - it’s in plain sight. Me saying he is wrong is not an attack on left wing, vaccines, science or anything. I’m just opening up dialogue - but as expected we get the same as hominem attacks. Just awaiting Swede to give hive arbiters opinion and chuck in Brexit for good measure.

Oh he also conjured perjury twice in the senate around NIH funding of gain of function research.

Not really, its all muddled with political bias so it's hard to discern what is genuinely criticism nowadays.

Also if he's conducted perjury then it should be investigated.

Regardless the GOP are going to run amok and win in the mid terms, Democrats are screwed.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

4196 posts since 13/1/12

29 Oct 2021 19:55
swede wrote:
RickRude wrote: Do the research yourself - it’s in plain sight

Laughing out loud

He asked me to list where he has been wrong. I don’t need to. People can be wrong. It shows you are human.
phelen
phelen avatar

6797 posts since 16/8/06

29 Oct 2021 20:42
RickRude wrote:
swede wrote:
RickRude wrote: Do the research yourself - it’s in plain sight

Laughing out loud

He asked me to list where he has been wrong. I don’t need to. People can be wrong. It shows you are human.

I don't think Fauci believes he's infallible or that what he says is Gospel. He's a scientist, he knows producing science will be met by attacks/criticism in research and the conclusions by peer review before it's accepted as being good.

RickRude
RickRude avatar

4196 posts since 13/1/12

29 Oct 2021 21:39
You would think right
phelen
phelen avatar

6797 posts since 16/8/06

29 Oct 2021 22:21
RickRude wrote: You would think right

Well unless you can give me examples that you claim to have, then yeah I give him the benefit of doubt.