Random Questions: Recommend me a ventilator/fan


Show original post
carlos
carlos avatar

940 posts since 20/1/08

19 Jun 2017 08:07
Fuck loft conversions - bedroom got to 31 degrees last night, with a fan on full blast and windows wide open. Do those Vornados actually do the job?
swede
swede avatar

7940 posts since 21/3/09

19 Jun 2017 08:41
fan was sorting me right out even though my room was boiling (loft conversion too). copped one of these last week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-08-355-280-9-Inch-2-Speed-Circulator/dp/B00AC0USU0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid;=1497861539&sr;=8-4&keywords;=air+circulator+fan

fucking awesome for the price, not the hugest but works well for a medium sized bedroom. didn't want a massive fan as thought I would only use it like 10 nights of the year or so..

full spec - http://www.rapidairmovement.co.uk/products/floor-air-circulator/
jacko198
jacko198 avatar

249 posts since 23/10/09

19 Jun 2017 10:59
I had a loft conversion room for 5 years in my old place. had to have a fan on every single night. It was unbearable in the summer.
Ended up on gumtree buying a "Portable" Air Con unit for about £60, such a dream!
carlos
carlos avatar

940 posts since 20/1/08

19 Jun 2017 18:09
We've got a portable air con too that the owners of the house left behind when they moved out. Sounds like someone's revving a Harley on the landing so it's never on
carlos
carlos avatar

940 posts since 20/1/08

19 Jun 2017 18:10
Also, which ac did you get Jacko?
Dee
Dee avatar

11190 posts since 22/11/07

19 Jun 2017 18:27
carlos wrote: Fuck loft conversions - bedroom got to 31 degrees last night, with a fan on full blast and windows wide open. Do those Vornados actually do the job?

They do - move a lot of air. Binned off a metal floor stander from B&Q as soon as we got one. Low speeds are quiet enough to sleep with if you place it outside the room. Pelt ours from the balcony in this heat and it does a good job keeping things manageable across the main living area, at night once the source is cooler it's spot on and cools the bedrooms well. Good for drying clothes indoors too, esp with a dehumidifier.

jacko198
jacko198 avatar

249 posts since 23/10/09

19 Jun 2017 22:05
carlos wrote: Also, which ac did you get Jacko?

Just got something like this, just in black. Ugly as fook, but does the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000BTU-900W-Portable-Air-Conditioning-Unit-WA-10000-/282533582695?hash=item41c8505767:g:CMEAAOSwXXxZR-cZ

Picked it up for £60, I'm guessing everyones jacking up the prices, supply and demand when its 35 degrees! Laughing out loud
shame
shame avatar

1705 posts since 17/7/12

21 Jun 2017 09:21
Dee wrote:
carlos wrote: Fuck loft conversions - bedroom got to 31 degrees last night, with a fan on full blast and windows wide open. Do those Vornados actually do the job?

They do - move a lot of air. Binned off a metal floor stander from B&Q as soon as we got one. Low speeds are quiet enough to sleep with if you place it outside the room. Pelt ours from the balcony in this heat and it does a good job keeping things manageable across the main living area, at night once the source is cooler it's spot on and cools the bedrooms well. Good for drying clothes indoors too, esp with a dehumidifier.
i can double that!
i use the vornado mainly to get in fresh air in the morning hours from my balcony and it works quite good. Wouldnt want to miss the dyson on the other hand for some direct fresh air.
We had 38 degrees yesterday and without that method i couldn't have worked a single hour…
smith
smith avatar

10771 posts since 5/5/04

21 Jun 2017 10:19
The heatwave will be over Friday, so keep the receipt on anything you buy.
shego
shego avatar

1549 posts since 11/12/07

22 Jun 2017 09:31
I bought a fan regardless because my place is a new build and absolutely fucking boiling most of the year.
hate
hate avatar

1571 posts since 4/1/12

22 Jun 2017 13:21
bought a vornado yesterday too
smith
smith avatar

10771 posts since 5/5/04

22 Jun 2017 13:28
Does it come with a heat setting? 19 degrees here today Sad
Madonna15
Madonna15 avatar

9 posts since 4/7/17

4 Jul 2017 12:34
jacko198 wrote:
carlos wrote: Also, which ac did you get Jacko?

Just got something like this, just in black. Ugly as fook, but does the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000BTU-900W-Portable-Air-Conditioning-Unit-WA-10000-/282533582695?hash=item41c8505767:g:CMEAAOSwXXxZR-cZ

Picked it up for £60, I'm guessing everyones jacking up the prices, supply and demand when its 35 degrees! Laughing out loud

How are you liking this ac? I am looking to buy one too.
Seventyfour
Seventyfour avatar

8749 posts since 6/10/05

27 Jun 2018 14:50
My bedroom is boiling at the moment so looking for an air circulator, I like the look of the vornado vfan but don't seem to be able to find them in the UK.
It needs to be quite and not too expensive, Any recommendations?
jogon321
jogon321 avatar

622 posts since 13/4/12

27 Jun 2018 16:56
For UK use https://www.proidee.co.uk/concept-store/by-categories/at-home/room-climate/vornado-660?HI=produktuebersicht&SORTIERUNG;=5&FILTER;=id_kategorie%3A%3A2988
eazypz
eazypz avatar

2992 posts since 16/4/10

27 Jun 2018 16:56
Don’t buy a Dyson. Have got the tall air purifier fan, absolutely crap compared to normal fans.
jogon321
jogon321 avatar

622 posts since 13/4/12

27 Jun 2018 17:28
Dysons suck, especially the hoovers
OnlyOneStop
OnlyOneStop avatar

2822 posts since 3/8/08

6 Jul 2019 20:25
Anyone got one they recommend?
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1364 posts since 24/3/14

7 Jul 2019 21:07
That whole vornado air circulation spiel is a load of marketing shite.
YLAup
YLAup avatar

5140 posts since 5/9/11

7 Jul 2019 21:17
I find that if I open my bedroom window, and then any other window in the flat, presto, free air circulation