General Discussion: Religion thread


Show original post
EVERS
EVERS avatar

8580 posts since 2/7/06

5 Apr 2010 00:22
Mr X wrote: A lot of poeple can't handle the fact, and it is a fact, that God is real. Part of the problem with their non-belief is that they have a 'seeing is believing' attitude and even when they do see an act of God (miracle) they do not believe… God tells us in scripture this will happen to many non-believers.. Guido is a classic example of someone who cannot see God so he mocks God.

Im not saying I will automatically go to heaven, I have to practise what I preach. I'm a bit of a preacher on here (God wants people to spread the word to those who haven't received it)… wish I had the balls to do it my in real life rather than stay quiet.

there's no heaven, god or any of that, so i'd just focus on being a decent person if i were you.

why do folk need a banner to walk under?

if god really was real and he was harry hill, i'd probably sign up for a laugh but all the pious crap and dodgy modern hymns is just desperate. i say those who enjoy their belief are welcome to it.
Guido
Guido avatar

12884 posts since 20/4/05

5 Apr 2010 00:25
eliotness wrote: are you equally damning and self righteous of all religions guido?

Buddhism or Hinduism for example?

The majority of arguments on here seem to be christianity vs atheism.

Yep. Anything that demands blind faith and control over it's believers. it's all man made nonsense to me. Mans intelligence has lead him to seek so many questions that at times of no or little understanding a blind faith offered comfort and that is where religion fitted in. It doesn't however make it right. life is a situation that has come about and we as humans are at the top of our respective tree. We need to just accept that and not invent something more to try and explain why we are in this position.
Kingmob07
Kingmob07 avatar

9199 posts since 11/5/07

5 Apr 2010 00:26
Religion is hardwired now. It's not a case of eradicating it, only negotiating with it.
Guido
Guido avatar

12884 posts since 20/4/05

5 Apr 2010 00:26
ejike10 wrote: guido, what about people who havent come into contact with any religion in particular but have a belief in a power higher than science, and have found like wise people. their belief would constitute a religion. would you consider them brainwashed also?

science isn't a belief. It's a seeking of knowledge. Don't make it out to be more than it is.
EVERS
EVERS avatar

8580 posts since 2/7/06

5 Apr 2010 00:27
ejike10 wrote: guido, what about people who havent come into contact with any religion in particular but have a belief in a power higher than science, and have found like wise people. their belief would constitute a religion. would you consider them brainwashed also?

what, like david icke and other loons?
eliotness
eliotness avatar

1506 posts since 1/2/09

5 Apr 2010 00:28
history of christianity is on bbc 4 now.
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

5 Apr 2010 00:29
Laughing out loud oh fuck that's only going to make this worse
Guido
Guido avatar

12884 posts since 20/4/05

5 Apr 2010 00:29
eliotness wrote: history of christianity is on bbc 4 now.

I love a good fairytale Eye-wink
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

5 Apr 2010 00:31
Guido wrote:
Farrell wrote: My parents aren't religious, I came to it later.

you're Irish yeah? Sorry but you may as well stick an old mans cock up your arse and tell yourself that god thinks you're a special boy.

Other than that what trauma has led you to seek 'god'?

man you really are a cunt aren't you Laughing out loud

as much as you'll mock it i felt it. i was first not bothered at all by religion, then atheistic then agnostic before now. neither of my parents are particularly religious, there was no pressure on me.
EVERS
EVERS avatar

8580 posts since 2/7/06

5 Apr 2010 00:33
Guido wrote:
eliotness wrote: are you equally damning and self righteous of all religions guido?

Buddhism or Hinduism for example?

The majority of arguments on here seem to be christianity vs atheism.

Yep. Anything that demands blind faith and control over it's believers. it's all man made nonsense to me. Mans intelligence has lead him to seek so many questions that at times of no or little understanding a blind faith offered comfort and that is where religion fitted in. It doesn't however make it right. life is a situation that has come about and we as humans are at the top of our respective tree. We need to just accept that and not invent something more to try and explain why we are in this position.

here, here.

we are insignificant, evolved apes, who have been around for a speck of time.

humans will be gone as soon as they arrived and all this nonsense will end with it.
eliotness
eliotness avatar

1506 posts since 1/2/09

5 Apr 2010 00:35
I cant believe i'm coming out on the religious side of all this arguing Laughing out loud

I just think the closed minded and damning atheist approach is not what I want to fall under.

Pushing your ideals onto religious people is just as bad and annoying as bible bashing evangelicals and tambourine wiggling hare krishna followers doing vice versa.
Guido
Guido avatar

12884 posts since 20/4/05

5 Apr 2010 00:44
Farrell wrote:
Guido wrote:
Farrell wrote: My parents aren't religious, I came to it later.

you're Irish yeah? Sorry but you may as well stick an old mans cock up your arse and tell yourself that god thinks you're a special boy.

Other than that what trauma has led you to seek 'god'?

man you really are a cunt aren't you Laughing out loud

as much as you'll mock it i felt it. i was first not bothered at all by religion, then atheistic then agnostic before now. neither of my parents are particularly religious, there was no pressure on me.

proper cunt! But it needs that to show religion up for what it is in my opinion. EVERS is correct as I see it. We get 70 years or so at best if we're lucky at this thing called life. That's fuck all in the grand scheme of things and this is the part most people cant handle. They need it to mean more so cling to the notion that this is not all it is. Sorry but we are just one step up the tree from a chimp.

Look after your family as best you can, be a good mate and when it's all over try not die in a painful way. The rest inbetween enjoy as much as you can.

All this paying to a god 5 times a day or confessing your sins is just a nonsense.
eliotness
eliotness avatar

1506 posts since 1/2/09

5 Apr 2010 00:49
I'm not sure EVERS was talking about our life spans.

I think he was talking about the actual existence of the human race.

We as a species have been here for an absolute blip of time.

Serbia
Serbia avatar

4932 posts since 22/3/06

5 Apr 2010 00:51
ultimately Guido and Evers are right, Religion isn't relevant any more. I firmly agree with the Philosopher AC Grayling:

Christian churches and Muslim groups have no more right to have their say than women's institutes or trades unions. The government has actively encouraged faith-based education, and therefore given a megaphone to religious voices and fundamentalists.

As much as i love a quote Laughing out loud , some people in this thread really do support this dawkins line:

Religious people split into three main groups when faced with science. I shall label them the 'know-nothings', the 'know-alls', and the 'no-contests'.

Guido
Guido avatar

12884 posts since 20/4/05

5 Apr 2010 00:54
exactly and us as people and therefore our awareness of our own mortality is even less than a blip. We're simply not important in the grand scheme of things but obviously we are to those we know and care about. This is where religion comes in to help give comfort and some hope that there's more to it that just existing (which ironically in itself is such a major thing)
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

5 Apr 2010 00:54
@Guido - It is a part of life, it's my beliefs and though it does affect how i live my life i don't think many people would call my lifestyle overtly christian Laughing out loud and I don't think it has to

I think it'd be a sin to throw away the gift of this life by not seeking experience and living it as full as you (reasonably) can. And the human race will die out and something else will take our place. fuck there may well be other life out there in the universe (please please please can we not have a thread like this about aliens Laughing out loud)

Are we finally at a live and let live stage? Or am i really just being naive? (just seen the above, maybe not it seems)
Foxtrot
Foxtrot avatar

2477 posts since 8/4/09

5 Apr 2010 00:56
Guido your loathing of religion is almost farcical. For you to hold such contempt for 'religion', besides the point of respect overpowers your argument and adds fuel to the narrow-mindedness of your opinion.

I sometimes think that the contempt in people like you is a foil for a deep seated hidden discomfort in the fact that you just might be might be wrong.

I use 'people like you' to refer to those who hardened their hearts in spite of the absence of conclusively compelling scientific evidence to the slightlest possibility of 'the grand perhaps'
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

5 Apr 2010 00:57
bresone do you want to explain that quote? I don't really get the no-contest bit (and that isn't me having a pop)

I face science everyday. Which am I?
EVERS
EVERS avatar

8580 posts since 2/7/06

5 Apr 2010 00:57
Farrell wrote: @Guido - It is a part of life, it's my beliefs and though it does affect how i live my life i don't think many people would call my lifestyle overtly christian Laughing out loud

I think it'd be a sin to throw away the gift of this life by not seeking experience and living it as full as you (reasonably) can. And the human race will die out and something else will take our place. fuck there may well be other life out there in the universe (please please please can we not have a thread like this about aliens Laughing out loud)

Are we finally at a live and let live stage? Or am i really just being naive?

it's never not been about live and let live, it's just been that opinions are polarised. I'm right and in your opinion so are you.
EVERS
EVERS avatar

8580 posts since 2/7/06

5 Apr 2010 00:59
Foxtrot wrote: Guido your loathing of religion is almost farcical. For you to hold such contempt for 'religion', besides the point of respect overpowers your argument and adds fuel to the narrow-mindedness of your opinion.

I sometimes think that the contempt in people like you is a foil for a deep seated hidden discomfort in the fact that you just might be might be wrong.

I use 'people like you' to refer to those who hardened their hearts in spite of the absence of conclusively compelling scientific evidence to the slightlest possibility of 'the grand perhaps'

100% bull