General Discussion: The Running Thread


Show original post
Richgee
Richgee avatar

49 posts since 26/4/15

23 Jul 2020 06:20

Scottishmark wrote: First sub 20 5k. Buzzing.


Amazing work, sub 40 10 next or sub 1.30 half
Richgee
Richgee avatar

49 posts since 26/4/15

23 Jul 2020 06:21
I want a new singlet and t but this season has been shit.

willesdengreen
willesdengreen avatar

607 posts since 10/6/10

23 Jul 2020 09:02
anyone got tips on ITBS recovery? started running over quar for the first time and it's my first injury… flares up after 2km jogging whenever I try now

pretty sure i've diagnosed it correctly from the pain - ran on a banked surface for ages and probably wasnt warming up effectively, as well as shit shoes. not sure how long to take off the running, and how to taper up mileage again
Richgee
Richgee avatar

49 posts since 26/4/15

23 Jul 2020 13:32
Wait two weeks from the injury and then you could do the couch to 5k app

That’ll ease you in gently.

But remember it’s meant to hurt, if it doesn’t hurt you aren’t doing it hard enough. Lot’s of people get pain and stop immediately. Find a level you can do and do that then gradually increase it.

If 1.5k is your limit do that, it’ll strengthen your body and help you overcome the 2k. Do 1.5k three times and then up it to 1.75 for another 3 before trying 2k

Hope that helps
Richard
burny
burny avatar

5887 posts since 25/5/06

23 Jul 2020 14:20
willesdengreen wrote: anyone got tips on ITBS recovery? started running over quar for the first time and it's my first injury… flares up after 2km jogging whenever I try now

pretty sure i've diagnosed it correctly from the pain - ran on a banked surface for ages and probably wasnt warming up effectively, as well as shit shoes. not sure how long to take off the running, and how to taper up mileage again

Get a sports massage, have a break for a couple of weeks and then ease back in. And remember to change up your routes. This happened to me when I first started. I was running the same route three times a week and wondering why I was getting injured on one leg Laughing out loud
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2618 posts since 11/6/08

26 Jul 2020 14:22
Anyone else notice Garmin connect is down last three days? Apparently they’ve been hacked and their data is being held ransom for $10mil Eek
MrW
MrW avatar

2736 posts since 1/8/11

26 Jul 2020 19:13
Yep, they've been hit all across the board, the webstore's down, garmin production line's stopped in Taiwan and their pilot aviation apps are offline Eek Wouldn't be surprised if it takes a week or two before services are up again.

People on social media having full meltdowns because this morning's jog isn't uploading to GC Laughing out loud

smith
smith avatar

10945 posts since 5/5/04

26 Jul 2020 19:42
Scottishmark wrote: First sub 20 5k. Buzzing.


Having only just ran my first ever 1km sub 4 minutes I now have a new appreciation of just how hard this is. Congrats. Cool

Scottishmark
Scottishmark avatar

626 posts since 25/1/11

26 Jul 2020 20:51
Haha - cheers.

I’d love to tell you it’s all going swimmingly since that sub 20 5k but almost immediately after it I fucked my calf. I’ve barely been able to run since. In fact today was my first run at anything above a fast walk since late May. Feeling a bit demoralised but also looking forward to getting back to it.
smith
smith avatar

10945 posts since 5/5/04

posted 27 Jul 2020 09:53, edited 27 Jul 2020 09:53
I had a reccurring calf injury that I couldn't get rid of for 8 months. Tried so many different exercises to try and fix it and nothing helped. Even took 6 weeks off and that just made it worse as the muscles weakened over that time and it came straight back after attempting a slow 5km run.

Then I found this:



Doing the two exercises he does and changing the ball he uses for a spiky massage ball to get really deep for the cross massage of the calf really helped. Still have the injury but it's only noticeable if I press really deep into my calf with my fingers and go looking for it. Am running everyday for July and it's been great not having any dodgy pains in that calf anymore.
MrW
MrW avatar

2736 posts since 1/8/11

27 Jul 2020 14:08
Looks like GC's back up again, just sync'd last few days activities.
willesdengreen
willesdengreen avatar

607 posts since 10/6/10

3 Aug 2020 12:52
getting back into it again (joined the strava) but need some proper footwear as i think that was what caused my injury. any tips on a decent entry level shoe?

went to a shop and did the whole thing on the treadmill, i have a midstrike and i think a slight pronation, but i have a feeling that was me just being awk on the treadmill. i think i need a neutral show with some stability/support?

they recommended me some brooks adrenalines but £120 felt a bit steep and i'd like something that would fair better on trail and in the coming winter when it's raining. seen a few people in the hoka speedgoats on this thread, they up to scratch?

this is a fashion forum too so preferably nothing too butters lol
Essence
Essence avatar

3111 posts since 10/1/05

3 Aug 2020 14:02
willesdengreen wrote: getting back into it again (joined the strava) but need some proper footwear as i think that was what caused my injury. any tips on a decent entry level shoe?

went to a shop and did the whole thing on the treadmill, i have a midstrike and i think a slight pronation, but i have a feeling that was me just being awk on the treadmill. i think i need a neutral show with some stability/support?

they recommended me some brooks adrenalines but £120 felt a bit steep and i'd like something that would fair better on trail and in the coming winter when it's raining. seen a few people in the hoka speedgoats on this thread, they up to scratch?

this is a fashion forum too so preferably nothing too butters lol


What kind of trails will you be running? I currently wear Hoka Torrents so a wider toe box and less cushioning than the speedgoats.

However, over winter i will probably wear my inov8 ultra talons or roclites - i find in mud you need something between a 6-8mm lug.

willesdengreen
willesdengreen avatar

607 posts since 10/6/10

posted 3 Aug 2020 16:47, edited 3 Aug 2020 16:47
Essence wrote:
willesdengreen wrote: getting back into it again (joined the strava) but need some proper footwear as i think that was what caused my injury. any tips on a decent entry level shoe?

went to a shop and did the whole thing on the treadmill, i have a midstrike and i think a slight pronation, but i have a feeling that was me just being awk on the treadmill. i think i need a neutral show with some stability/support?

they recommended me some brooks adrenalines but £120 felt a bit steep and i'd like something that would fair better on trail and in the coming winter when it's raining. seen a few people in the hoka speedgoats on this thread, they up to scratch?

this is a fashion forum too so preferably nothing too butters lol


What kind of trails will you be running? I currently wear Hoka Torrents so a wider toe box and less cushioning than the speedgoats.

However, over winter i will probably wear my inov8 ultra talons or roclites - i find in mud you need something between a 6-8mm lug.

I will mostly be running around London parks. But I've been having a go on national trails over lockdown whilst staying with family and enjoyed it so much more - mixture of fields, dirt paths, gravel. I'm fairly new to it too, so rather something that's OK at road and OK at trail rather than a specialist.
Burt
Burt avatar

6001 posts since 3/1/10

3 Aug 2020 19:09
The Nike Pegasus Trail (the old version) will do what you're asking, WG. There are a few c/w's available on the Nike App at a cut down price as the newer version is more off road oriented.
willesdengreen
willesdengreen avatar

607 posts since 10/6/10

4 Aug 2020 08:14
Burt wrote: The Nike Pegasus Trail (the old version) will do what you're asking, WG. There are a few c/w's available on the Nike App at a cut down price as the newer version is more off road oriented.

cheers - i'll have a look!
Essence
Essence avatar

3111 posts since 10/1/05

4 Aug 2020 13:59
willesdengreen wrote:
Essence wrote:
willesdengreen wrote: getting back into it again (joined the strava) but need some proper footwear as i think that was what caused my injury. any tips on a decent entry level shoe?

went to a shop and did the whole thing on the treadmill, i have a midstrike and i think a slight pronation, but i have a feeling that was me just being awk on the treadmill. i think i need a neutral show with some stability/support?

they recommended me some brooks adrenalines but £120 felt a bit steep and i'd like something that would fair better on trail and in the coming winter when it's raining. seen a few people in the hoka speedgoats on this thread, they up to scratch?

this is a fashion forum too so preferably nothing too butters lol


What kind of trails will you be running? I currently wear Hoka Torrents so a wider toe box and less cushioning than the speedgoats.

However, over winter i will probably wear my inov8 ultra talons or roclites - i find in mud you need something between a 6-8mm lug.

I will mostly be running around London parks. But I've been having a go on national trails over lockdown whilst staying with family and enjoyed it so much more - mixture of fields, dirt paths, gravel. I'm fairly new to it too, so rather something that's OK at road and OK at trail rather than a specialist.

If Hoka - probably best bet is the ATR Challenger for mixed terrain including road.
gonzoking
gonzoking avatar

798 posts since 13/3/11

8 Aug 2020 08:38
Anyone recommend a running short with a secure inner thigh layer that houses one of those tight phone pockets?
figurine
figurine avatar

5895 posts since 14/5/07

posted 8 Aug 2020 09:08, edited 8 Aug 2020 09:08
Can pick up Brooks Sherpa 2 in 1s fairly cheaply if you look around.
gonzoking
gonzoking avatar

798 posts since 13/3/11

8 Aug 2020 09:15
That was the kinda thing I was looking for, cheers