General Discussion: The Running Thread


Show original post
generic_guy
generic_guy avatar

9821 posts since 16/9/02

1 Dec 2020 22:35
Kadafi39 wrote: Reading this thread makes me realise how shit I am at running! Im early 30's but never really ran just for running. Last 10 odd years I have done nothing but strength training(core lifts), a little body building and muay thai/BBJ.

Long story short I gained weight after marriage and lockdown hasn't helped either so I got myself a treadmill a few weeks ago and fuck me im finding it hard, I can barely manage a mile without having to walk for a minute or two and in 25 mins im managing about 3.5km so safe to say absolutely terrible. Sad

I am 6'2 and 92kg though so don't think I'm built for running. Anyone else have similarly shit times at the start and improved much?

I think I’m well qualified to chime in here…
My times are so bad I’ve been reluctant to post in here but I fucking love running and think you should keep at it.
I second the couch to 5k recommendation, I also thought I would enjoy running but didn’t when I tried it but couch to 5k got me started a couple of years ago and I still do it.
I am also 6’2 but was 125kg when I started so don’t let that put you off.
I am still painfully slow compared to my mates but have gone from a 40 minute 5k to *just* over 30 minutes (knocked 50 seconds off just this week).
I don’t think I’m alone in finding it much harder to run on a treadmill, getting outside makes a big difference so maybe try that.
smith
smith avatar

11140 posts since 5/5/04

1 Dec 2020 23:31
Mr.X. wrote: Runners are a bit like cyclists. Banging on about their personal best, their bike and clothes and so competitive. I don’t think it’s really necessary to buy expensive running shoes you might see on athletes. Laughing out loud

Still better to bang on about Running in the Running Thread than carrot cake if you ask me.
Richgee
Richgee avatar

120 posts since 26/4/15

2 Dec 2020 04:36
Mr.X. wrote: Runners are a bit like cyclists. Banging on about their personal best, their bike and clothes and so competitive. I don’t think it’s really necessary to buy expensive running shoes you might see on athletes. Laughing out loud

runners? banging on about running in a thread about running? fuckers. If only there was a way to not read it.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1358 posts since 1/7/09

posted 2 Dec 2020 08:46, edited 2 Dec 2020 08:46
Richgee wrote:
Mr.X. wrote: Runners are a bit like cyclists. Banging on about their personal best, their bike and clothes and so competitive. I don’t think it’s really necessary to buy expensive running shoes you might see on athletes. Laughing out loud

runners? banging on about running in a thread about running? fuckers. If only there was a way to not read it.

Laughing out loud

Running is a great equalizer. No need to spend £££. Anyone can do it.

I'm part of a cycling club, and the difference between the two sets of people is miles apart. Obvs massively generalising here.
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3065 posts since 23/6/13

posted 2 Dec 2020 08:56, edited 2 Dec 2020 08:56
You could always gaze at your choice of avatar for a few hours instead, Richgee. My comment about eating cake may be slightly facetious but then in the context of the current discussion in the thread it is relative since there's a direct correlation between eating and fitness, ergo, running.
Richgee
Richgee avatar

120 posts since 26/4/15

2 Dec 2020 09:14
I don't understand your point, all I'm trying to suggest is that if you don't like running or runners, maybe joining in on a thread with lots of runners discussing running isn't a good use of your time? its your choice of course.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a32598733/is-running-bad-for-your-knees/
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3065 posts since 23/6/13

posted 2 Dec 2020 09:27, edited 2 Dec 2020 09:27
I enjoy posting on this forum so it's a good use. I think my point was about the overly competitive aspect. My dislike of running was merely a throwaway comment.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1358 posts since 1/7/09

2 Dec 2020 09:40
Mr.X. wrote: I enjoy posting on this forum so it's a good use. I think my point was about the overly competitive aspect. My dislike of running was merely a throwaway comment.

Re:competitive aspect…I don't think anyone in this thread is willy-waving tbf. It's nice to share your achievements, I don't think any of us are going to be challenging Kipchoge any time soon, so it's all about little gains/improvements.

In all honesty, I hate running but force myself to do it (at least until I can start playing footy again).
Richgee
Richgee avatar

120 posts since 26/4/15

2 Dec 2020 09:50
I'll admit I'm competitive and got relatively quick two years ago. I do fixate on PBs and when i lose a bit of the weight I've gained since then I'll be back focussing on them.

but i don't think competitiveness means you can't be supportive and encouraging and if somebody runs just to gain fitness and live a little longer rather then I applaud that.

swiftus wrote: In all honesty, I hate running but force myself to do it (at least until I can start playing footy again).

But surely there is the post run seratonin hit to always look forward to?
smith
smith avatar

11140 posts since 5/5/04

posted 2 Dec 2020 10:03, edited 2 Dec 2020 10:03
Mr.X. wrote: I enjoy posting on this forum so it's a good use. I think my point was about the overly competitive aspect. My dislike of running was merely a throwaway comment.

I can tell you really want in on the most bumped thread on here in 2020. Come join us. You can do it. Carrot cake to 5k. Sticking out tongue

For the record I hate running. Only do it cos it gives me energy and a sense of accomplishment before I tackle the rest of the day. Am only ever competing with my own PB as I only shave seconds off it if I'm lucky.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1358 posts since 1/7/09

2 Dec 2020 10:13
Richgee wrote: But surely there is the post run seratonin hit to always look forward to?

Yeah for sure. But I'm never 'looking forward' to it, unlike the way I look forward to playing footy. I'm trying to teach myself discipline (just doing it because I need to do it), which I generally lack.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1906 posts since 30/10/09

2 Dec 2020 10:42
swiftus wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: Reading this thread makes me realise how shit I am at running! Im early 30's but never really ran just for running. Last 10 odd years I have done nothing but strength training(core lifts), a little body building and muay thai/BBJ.

Long story short I gained weight after marriage and lockdown hasn't helped either so I got myself a treadmill a few weeks ago and fuck me im finding it hard, I can barely manage a mile without having to walk for a minute or two and in 25 mins im managing about 3.5km so safe to say absolutely terrible. Sad

I am 6'2 and 92kg though so don't think I'm built for running. Anyone else have similarly shit times at the start and improved much?

Don't think you're doing bad at all. Keep going. All about racking up the miles. As long as you're doing a little bit more (mileage) each week than the week before, you're progressing. Don't even bother looking at times at the moment.

It is physical or mental thing stopping you from running? Reason I ask is that I hate running on the treadmill, more of a mental thing. Have you tried running outside for a bit?

Thanks mate, Yeah I think i need to stop looking at times and just run as much as I can. I do prefer road running, but when its cold and miserable outside during winter I find it hard to get ready and go for a run so a treadmill in the garage works for me. I think its more physical tbh, my endurance isnt great.


smith wrote: @kadafi39
Watch this.

It inspired me to keep going when I thought I was too heavy to go faster.

His channel is good. Fast short runs. Longer slower runs to build the engine.

https://youtu.be/jybhsokKuWA

Will definitely watch this and check his channel out, thanks mate.

Richgee wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: Reading this thread makes me realise how shit I am at running! Im early 30's but never really ran just for running. Last 10 odd years I have done nothing but strength training(core lifts), a little body building and muay thai/BBJ.

Long story short I gained weight after marriage and lockdown hasn't helped either so I got myself a treadmill a few weeks ago and fuck me im finding it hard, I can barely manage a mile without having to walk for a minute or two and in 25 mins im managing about 3.5km so safe to say absolutely terrible. Sad

I am 6'2 and 92kg though so don't think I'm built for running. Anyone else have similarly shit times at the start and improved much?

Mate don't be hard on yourself

do a structured programme, couch to 5k should sort you out properly. By end of january you'll be 5king easy peasy and the weight will drop off

for what its worth 6 2 and 92 kg isn't that bad, i started running at 104kg while being 5 11

Thanks, yeah as others have said above I need to start a programme and get in to a routine. I know 6'2 and 92kg doesnt sound too bad, but when I was taking part in interclubs and amateur sparring events about 3 years ago I had around 5kg more muscle mass and I was just under 80kg, so I definitely need to shift a significant amount of fat!
Richgee
Richgee avatar

120 posts since 26/4/15

2 Dec 2020 10:43
swiftus wrote: Yeah for sure. But I'm never 'looking forward' to it, unlike the way I look forward to playing footy. I'm trying to teach myself discipline (just doing it because I need to do it), which I generally lack.

i can totally get that

i do enjoy the headspace and often use the time to think through work or other problems.

I do now crave post run achey calves, and i'm not going to lie burny nipple often gives me a smile, but chasing a ball around is definitely one of the most enjoyable ways of keeping fit.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1906 posts since 30/10/09

2 Dec 2020 10:46
generic_guy wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: Reading this thread makes me realise how shit I am at running! Im early 30's but never really ran just for running. Last 10 odd years I have done nothing but strength training(core lifts), a little body building and muay thai/BBJ.

Long story short I gained weight after marriage and lockdown hasn't helped either so I got myself a treadmill a few weeks ago and fuck me im finding it hard, I can barely manage a mile without having to walk for a minute or two and in 25 mins im managing about 3.5km so safe to say absolutely terrible. Sad

I am 6'2 and 92kg though so don't think I'm built for running. Anyone else have similarly shit times at the start and improved much?

I think I’m well qualified to chime in here…
My times are so bad I’ve been reluctant to post in here but I fucking love running and think you should keep at it.
I second the couch to 5k recommendation, I also thought I would enjoy running but didn’t when I tried it but couch to 5k got me started a couple of years ago and I still do it.
I am also 6’2 but was 125kg when I started so don’t let that put you off.
I am still painfully slow compared to my mates but have gone from a 40 minute 5k to *just* over 30 minutes (knocked 50 seconds off just this week).
I don’t think I’m alone in finding it much harder to run on a treadmill, getting outside makes a big difference so maybe try that.

I will definitely keep at it, I think the single most thing that keeps me motivated is seeing results so hopefully some improvement in times and weight loss should have me feeling better about running.
Im going to start the couch to 5k, Ive downloaded an app and read the nhs site and it sounds pretty good.
Congrats mate, thats a big improvement! Yes weather permitting I am going to switch it up and run outside when i can too.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1358 posts since 1/7/09

2 Dec 2020 12:21
Kadafi39 wrote:
swiftus wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: Reading this thread makes me realise how shit I am at running! Im early 30's but never really ran just for running. Last 10 odd years I have done nothing but strength training(core lifts), a little body building and muay thai/BBJ.

Long story short I gained weight after marriage and lockdown hasn't helped either so I got myself a treadmill a few weeks ago and fuck me im finding it hard, I can barely manage a mile without having to walk for a minute or two and in 25 mins im managing about 3.5km so safe to say absolutely terrible. Sad

I am 6'2 and 92kg though so don't think I'm built for running. Anyone else have similarly shit times at the start and improved much?

Don't think you're doing bad at all. Keep going. All about racking up the miles. As long as you're doing a little bit more (mileage) each week than the week before, you're progressing. Don't even bother looking at times at the moment.

It is physical or mental thing stopping you from running? Reason I ask is that I hate running on the treadmill, more of a mental thing. Have you tried running outside for a bit?

Thanks mate, Yeah I think i need to stop looking at times and just run as much as I can. I do prefer road running, but when its cold and miserable outside during winter I find it hard to get ready and go for a run so a treadmill in the garage works for me. I think its more physical tbh, my endurance isnt great.

Yeah, I was the same about running outside. The first few minutes are painful, but then it's fine after that. Just a mental hurdle you need to get over.

You could always try the good ol Fuk way of getting over it. Buy a fuckload of (expensive) winter running gear…it'll guilt-trip you into going outside! Laughing out loud

Keep at it mate.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1906 posts since 30/10/09

2 Dec 2020 12:29
swiftus wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote:
swiftus wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: Reading this thread makes me realise how shit I am at running! Im early 30's but never really ran just for running. Last 10 odd years I have done nothing but strength training(core lifts), a little body building and muay thai/BBJ.

Long story short I gained weight after marriage and lockdown hasn't helped either so I got myself a treadmill a few weeks ago and fuck me im finding it hard, I can barely manage a mile without having to walk for a minute or two and in 25 mins im managing about 3.5km so safe to say absolutely terrible. Sad

I am 6'2 and 92kg though so don't think I'm built for running. Anyone else have similarly shit times at the start and improved much?

Don't think you're doing bad at all. Keep going. All about racking up the miles. As long as you're doing a little bit more (mileage) each week than the week before, you're progressing. Don't even bother looking at times at the moment.

It is physical or mental thing stopping you from running? Reason I ask is that I hate running on the treadmill, more of a mental thing. Have you tried running outside for a bit?

Thanks mate, Yeah I think i need to stop looking at times and just run as much as I can. I do prefer road running, but when its cold and miserable outside during winter I find it hard to get ready and go for a run so a treadmill in the garage works for me. I think its more physical tbh, my endurance isnt great.

Yeah, I was the same about running outside. The first few minutes are painful, but then it's fine after that. Just a mental hurdle you need to get over.

You could always try the good ol Fuk way of getting over it. Buy a fuckload of (expensive) winter running gear…it'll guilt-trip you into going outside! Laughing out loud

Keep at it mate.

Hahaha I got a reebok treadmill which was ridiculously expensive, the wifes idea, she promised me she would use it min 3 times a week. She's used it 3 times in about a month Laughing out loud
So now im trying to get my moneys worth out of it!
kid unknown
kid unknown avatar

5450 posts since 8/12/01

posted 2 Dec 2020 13:14, edited 2 Dec 2020 13:14
Bit surprised at the reluctance to run outside in all weathers.

I quite like running in the rain or snow. Icy pavements is the main thing that puts me off.

I was a late starter but thinking back I was definitely guilty of going for speed over distance.

For anyone with not much time I would recommend short and hilly routes. I get bored if no hills as feels like running on flat requires little effort.
Essence
Essence avatar

3124 posts since 10/1/05

2 Dec 2020 22:29
kid unknown wrote: Bit surprised at the reluctance to run outside in all weathers.

I quite like running in the rain or snow. Icy pavements is the main thing that puts me off.

I was a late starter but thinking back I was definitely guilty of going for speed over distance.

For anyone with not much time I would recommend short and hilly routes. I get bored if no hills as feels like running on flat requires little effort.

I stopped road running a few years ago. Mainly do trail running now when fit. Did my first Ultra last year Lakeland 50 was a great day out.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1906 posts since 30/10/09

4 Dec 2020 13:16
kid unknown wrote: Bit surprised at the reluctance to run outside in all weathers.

I quite like running in the rain or snow. Icy pavements is the main thing that puts me off.

I was a late starter but thinking back I was definitely guilty of going for speed over distance.

For anyone with not much time I would recommend short and hilly routes. I get bored if no hills as feels like running on flat requires little effort.

When its cold, wet and miserable it does put me off at times, putting your gear on and then sorting your arm band and headphones, separating your key form the bundle to take the single key.

But when the weather is decent and im not trying to squeeze a quick workout in I do enjoy running outdoors.
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3889 posts since 14/8/04

5 Dec 2020 01:31
Essence wrote: I stopped road running a few years ago. Mainly do trail running now when fit. Did my first Ultra last year Lakeland 50 was a great day out.
remember your posts from the six pack thread. cool to see you doing an ultra!