Menswear: SAMPLE SALES


Show original post
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

3 Apr 2010 01:33
billhicks wrote: I was christened when I was a baby. My parents aren't religious so I asked my mum why one time. She said "because it's the done thing".

troll wrote: I just don't understand why folk feel the need to follow and be guided in their life.


When I was in my teens I wondered if looking at pornography was bad so I looked it up in the bible and read interpretations of it to get an idea of where I stand when I get to the gates. Prior to that I hadn't really thought about it(god, religion etc) much but always assumed there was a god whom would one day judge me. I learnt that the christian faith(and most faiths actually) frown on pornography yet I very much liked it so I had to make a choice…..

I think aside from all the creationist nonsense and fairytales, people who have god or religion in their life for personal guidance/comfort etc are for the most part using it as some kind of third party go between to get the answers from themselves. Everyone has a conscious, a brain and a sense of right and wrong. A lot of the *rational* moral guidance that comes from religion is common sense that any sane person knows themselves already without needing a fear based religion to keep them on the straight and narrow.

I've been an explicit atheist a long time now and haven't yet raped or murdered anyone.

But I bet you still dive in to a rhythm magazine or two Smiling

Seriously though, yes a lot of it is common sense and that to be generous most people have but all do not. So some need guidance more than others and I'm not pointing at the religious, this includes everyone.
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

3 Apr 2010 01:38
bresone wrote:
Farrell wrote: Congratulations on being another smug athiest

Laughing out loud

richard dawkins wrote: Religious people split into three main groups when faced with science. I shall label them the 'know-nothings', the 'know-alls', and the 'no-contests'.

congratulations on being alive. don't hate Cool

Every living thing is, from the cosmic perspective, incredibly lucky simply to be alive. Most, 90 percent and more, of all the organisms that have ever lived have died without viable offspring, but not a single one of your ancestors, going back to the dawn of life on Earth, suffered that normal misfortune. You spring from an unbroken line of winners going back millions of generations, and those winners were, in every generation, the luckiest of the lucky, one out of a thousand or even a million. So however unlucky you may be on some occasion today, your presence on the planet testifies to the role luck has played in your past

I don't believe in luck. You can't be a non-believer and then believe in something like luck. It's like saying I don't believe in the unexplainable (God) but I also believe in the unexplainable (luck).
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

3 Apr 2010 01:42
inverse square wrote: Yeah, we all know plastic bags exist.

But do they? Are you sure it's not some alien conspiracy called 'the green house effect' Smiling
Serbia
Serbia avatar

4932 posts since 22/3/06

3 Apr 2010 01:43
troll wrote:
bresone wrote:
Farrell wrote: Congratulations on being another smug athiest

Laughing out loud

richard dawkins wrote: Religious people split into three main groups when faced with science. I shall label them the 'know-nothings', the 'know-alls', and the 'no-contests'.

congratulations on being alive. don't hate Cool

Every living thing is, from the cosmic perspective, incredibly lucky simply to be alive. Most, 90 percent and more, of all the organisms that have ever lived have died without viable offspring, but not a single one of your ancestors, going back to the dawn of life on Earth, suffered that normal misfortune. You spring from an unbroken line of winners going back millions of generations, and those winners were, in every generation, the luckiest of the lucky, one out of a thousand or even a million. So however unlucky you may be on some occasion today, your presence on the planet testifies to the role luck has played in your past

I don't believe in luck. You can't be a non-believer and then believe in something like luck. It's like saying I don't believe in the unexplainable (God) but I also believe in the unexplainable (luck).

Laughing out loud

"Isn't it true that whatever isn't determined by our genes must be determined by our environment? What else is there? There's Nature and there's Nurture. Is there also some X, some further contributor to what we are? There's Chance. Luck. This extra ingredient is important but doesn't have to come from the quantum bowels of our atoms or from some distant star. It is all around us in the causeless coin-flipping of our noisy world, automatically filling in the gaps of specification left unfixed by our genes, and unfixed by salient causes in our environment."
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

3 Apr 2010 01:55
bresone I'm not hating on the discussion, it's good in the long run to be challenged, and I love science too man. I don't like the snide comments from evers is all.

troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

3 Apr 2010 01:59
bresone wrote:
troll wrote:
bresone wrote:
Farrell wrote: Congratulations on being another smug athiest

Laughing out loud

richard dawkins wrote: Religious people split into three main groups when faced with science. I shall label them the 'know-nothings', the 'know-alls', and the 'no-contests'.

congratulations on being alive. don't hate Cool

Every living thing is, from the cosmic perspective, incredibly lucky simply to be alive. Most, 90 percent and more, of all the organisms that have ever lived have died without viable offspring, but not a single one of your ancestors, going back to the dawn of life on Earth, suffered that normal misfortune. You spring from an unbroken line of winners going back millions of generations, and those winners were, in every generation, the luckiest of the lucky, one out of a thousand or even a million. So however unlucky you may be on some occasion today, your presence on the planet testifies to the role luck has played in your past

I don't believe in luck. You can't be a non-believer and then believe in something like luck. It's like saying I don't believe in the unexplainable (God) but I also believe in the unexplainable (luck).

Laughing out loud

"Isn't it true that whatever isn't determined by our genes must be determined by our environment? What else is there? There's Nature and there's Nurture. Is there also some X, some further contributor to what we are? There's Chance. Luck. This extra ingredient is important but doesn't have to come from the quantum bowels of our atoms or from some distant star. It is all around us in the causeless coin-flipping of our noisy world, automatically filling in the gaps of specification left unfixed by our genes, and unfixed by salient causes in our environment."

But then does X = God?
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

3 Apr 2010 02:05
Farrell wrote: In a way the difference with between religious people and non-religious people is that religious people attribute the unexplained to god, non-religious people attribute it to nothing and are fine with that [no judgement]. Things like life, existance, evolution, sentience, gravity and electomagnetic forces etc are, to me, gods work. To you I guess they are just the mysteries of the universe as yet unexplained.

Or chance.
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

3 Apr 2010 02:10
Farrell wrote:
Farrell wrote: In a way the difference with between religious people and non-religious people is that religious people attribute the unexplained to god, non-religious people attribute it to nothing and are fine with that [no judgement]. Things like life, existance, evolution, sentience, gravity and electomagnetic forces etc are, to me, gods work. To you I guess they are just the mysteries of the universe as yet unexplained.

Or chance.

But some believers also say that it's not down to chance it's devine intervention, our lives are mapped out by God like a story in a book so the unexplainable, X is God.
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

3 Apr 2010 02:13
Not in christianity, we were given free will. The X would just be a push along.
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

3 Apr 2010 02:16
Farrell wrote: Not in christianity, we were given free will.

But not much of a choice, if you're bad in the eyes of God you go to Hell (and I can understand that), Good and you go to the Happy Place, a non believer or actually a non-member goes to Limbo forever.
Serbia
Serbia avatar

4932 posts since 22/3/06

3 Apr 2010 02:16
Farrell wrote: Not in christianity, we were given free will. The X would just be a push along.

Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it.
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

3 Apr 2010 02:41
dude just because you quote something doesn't make it right. Use your own words. Can you possibly accept the idea that I'm not brainwashed and intelligent enough to evaluate things myself? Or is my belief now proof beyond anything else that I'm stupid?

Troll in my distilling of christianity I've gotten that the idea is that repentance of sins is the key to heaven. In my opinion that isn't reliant on belief, just the will not to be a cunt all the time and the realisation of a bigger picture (and I don't mean one that has to include god). But I don't know.

I might as well add that dogma isn't my strong suit, I don't know that any strain of religion completely fits with how I feel god.
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20411 posts since 26/1/06

3 Apr 2010 02:53
All plastic bags are made in the same factory anyway.

Can we continue this in the religion thread please?
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

3 Apr 2010 02:59
I can fully understand that and see repentance as admission of your responsibilities of ones own actions and be willing to rectify any wrong doing. For me I personally don't see the need to have a belief, faith, religion or something else for me to do that and to be a better person. Yet I still will not get to Heaven, I do realise there is a lot more to it than that but that concept seems wrong to me.

If you have this faith maybe your the lucky one and I'm not but that could also be the reverse. There is no harm in what you are doing and none in what I do, I just wish that everyone can accept and show understanding or indeed embrace each others differences and not just tolerate it as that shows a lackadaisical laziness or unwillingness to understand and embrace one another.
Serbia
Serbia avatar

4932 posts since 22/3/06

3 Apr 2010 03:01
Farrell wrote: dude just because you quote something doesn't make it right. Use your own words. Can you possibly accept the idea that I'm not brainwashed and intelligent enough to evaluate things myself? Or is my belief now proof beyond anything else that I'm stupid?

Troll in my distilling of christianity I've gotten that the idea is that repentance of sins is the key to heaven. In my opinion that isn't reliant on belief, just the will not to be a cunt all the time and the realisation of a bigger picture (and I don't mean one that has to include god). But I don't know.

I might as well add that dogma isn't my strong suit, I don't know that any strain of religion completely fits with how I feel god.

Laughing out loud Why use my own words when Dennet, Dawkins et al… some of the greatest Minds of our lifetime argue against any form of religion so beautifully and concisely. I simply dont feel i need to add anyhting else to it.

I feel (and i think you might agree) based on the last sentence of your last post, your personal feeling of a "a god" doesnt fit in with traditional Christian Theology. Maybe it might be worth delving in a to Dawkins book.

louyork
louyork avatar

245 posts since 8/1/09

3 Apr 2010 04:10
fuck religion
Otter the Rotter
Otter the Rotter avatar

132 posts since 7/3/05

3 Apr 2010 09:49
I think the only problem with religion is people. Unfortunately there'll always be someone happy to use something like religion to manipulate others. Or justify something which is totaly unjustifiable.

On a lighter note, the religion of American Apparel appear to be gearing up for their next attempt at feeding the 5,000 with two fish and and some neon pink leggings.

I hope no one bothers turning up after yesterday's failure.
Kingmob07
Kingmob07 avatar

9032 posts since 11/5/07

3 Apr 2010 12:37
Anyone got an invite to Burberry?
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14381 posts since 21/2/07

3 Apr 2010 12:48
Just say Jimmy sent you when you get there
loom
loom avatar

1444 posts since 2/6/07

4 Apr 2010 00:50
Blown over now but I really can't get over how much the person who jumped on top of the car and stamped like an angry spoilt little baby before pulling his hood up has pissed me off and tainted my view of everyone who could potentially be wearing AA tonight. What a nob-end. And the other guy, is that a female police officer? Pete Doherty spitting at a female presenter too. Wheres the respect. It's all gone wrong.