General Discussion: Skincare (no-homo)


Show original post
Diekeyser
Diekeyser avatar

167 posts since 25/11/11

22 Mar 2013 21:11
Great advice, thanks hw, been using some Aesop products on and off, the calming shampoo really settled my scalp
And stopped irritation, been using the nurturing shampoo as well, it's expensive but lasts ages.
ill have to try the eye cream too, getting old Oops
elvrum
elvrum avatar

620 posts since 18/7/12

22 Mar 2013 23:29
re those aesop things, not knocking it if it works for you but using actual physical scrubs isn't meant to be good for your skin - you'd be much better off using a muslin cloth with a simple cleanser for light surface exfoliation and then using a bha or aha acid lotion at a decent ph level etc.
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12174 posts since 7/3/05

22 Mar 2013 23:54
the cleanser is lactic acid based ph 3.85, I dont use the crystal based exfolient, its too harsh, the tea tree leaf is not very rough at all, very light exfolient.
TheTiger
TheTiger avatar

4157 posts since 23/2/03

23 Mar 2013 01:14
That is one sick haul of Aesop products Cool

I bought the mouthwash a few weeks back (purely cause I liked the bottle), was nice and I went through it in about 3 weeks. I don't think it will be a regular purchase though as £300 a year on Mouthwash is a bit too far imo.

One product I switched to a few months back which i'd recommend is the Elemis Tri-Enzyme Resurfacing Facial Wash.
Superprecise
Superprecise avatar

2217 posts since 16/7/11

23 Mar 2013 09:10
Fuck me, my girlfriend would never tolerate this shit! Fair enough though, that's an impressive commitment.


Hello World
Hello World avatar

12174 posts since 7/3/05

23 Mar 2013 09:52
I was thinking of getting the mouth wash just for the bottle as you said it looks cool in an old medicine type way, then just use my normal colgate stuff in it afterwards.

i think I draw the line at the toilet drops though!
Vazza
Vazza avatar

4312 posts since 30/9/06

23 Mar 2013 10:16
Anyone able to recommend a lip balm please? I've used Molton Brown's one which seemed to work well at repairing chapped lips and also the Malin+Goetz mojito one but fancy a change.
Ruben
Ruben avatar

10775 posts since 2/7/03

23 Mar 2013 11:15
I've had problem skin since I was born and having sampled more products than I care to remember I can safely say that paying through the nose for moisturisers etc is of absolutely no benefit for me personally.

Nice coincidence though that someone with HW's disposable income has so many very expensive 'essential' products for his regime. Would be a nightmare if you were ever hard up, you'd have to get used to bags under the eyes and dry skin without access to teh Aesop range Sad
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12174 posts since 7/3/05

23 Mar 2013 11:20
It lasts for ages because you use so little, expensive over many months is just the same as normal costing products.

I had to move on because certain things went out of stock, I need a light acid exfolient everyday to de-grease, many of the simple product range can do the same job

http://www.simple.co.uk/categories/Cleansers-41.aspx

I started using the toner from them, but needed to use lots, so it worked out no cheaper than aesop etc.

elvrum
elvrum avatar

620 posts since 18/7/12

23 Mar 2013 12:04
a lot of skin care products are daylight robbery, especially when people don't look at the ingredients. there is a moisturising lotion by cerave that contains ceramides, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid etc, and costs under a tenner. you'd be hard pressed to find another moisturiser with similar actives for under 100. the reason it's so modestly priced is that cerave is not involved in the cosmetic war for your money.

this is a great database of good products and reviews based on their ingredients and potential benefits to the skin and covers everything from the cheap to ridiculously expensive. it's run by paula begoun who has her own really good line of products. her products as well as reviews and database are based on peer reviewed journals and evidence rather than simply saying 'this will be great for your skin!'.
Homer
Homer avatar

23926 posts since 8/5/03

23 Mar 2013 12:04
Just started giving the Clinique 3 step a go, the gel moisturiser seems good.
Serbia
Serbia avatar

4932 posts since 22/3/06

23 Mar 2013 12:12
HW/DDD - Is the tinting in the number 7 obvious? cant see that they have different shades so i guess not. Also with touche eclait for men, did you go in and ask re. what shade to get?

i used to use benefit lying eyes concealer but i dont think i ever got the shade right.

bird bought me a big box of aesop to try and some other stuff, but at the moment subscribing to the if it aint broke dont fix rule. dermologica micro exfoliator twice a day and some clinque m lotion and i'm good.


(no homo)
Ruben
Ruben avatar

10775 posts since 2/7/03

23 Mar 2013 12:24
Vazza, you can't go wrong with a job lot of Carmex. I just use it 2 / 3 times a day and never have dry lips anymore.

Used to go through loads of different Lipsyl and Chapstick type ones.
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12174 posts since 7/3/05

23 Mar 2013 12:36
Serbia wrote: HW/DDD - Is the tinting in the number 7 obvious? cant see that they have different shades so i guess not. Also with touche eclait for men, did you go in and ask re. what shade to get?

i used to use benefit lying eyes concealer but i dont think i ever got the shade right.

bird bought me a big box of aesop to try and some other stuff, but at the moment subscribing to the if it aint broke dont fix rule. dermologica micro exfoliator twice a day and some clinque m lotion and i'm good.


(no homo)

not obvious at all, I only see it because I wipe my hands of excess onto a white flannel, over time between washes you can detect a faint tone. I am not on the YSL Laughing out loud `I dont need it and that definitely crosses into "makeup"
Bennelli
Bennelli avatar

3461 posts since 25/5/11

23 Mar 2013 13:22
Ruben wrote: I've had problem skin since I was born and having sampled more products than I care to remember

Same here. Had bad acne throughout my teens and get the odd breakout still Puzzled

Spent shit loads on products over the years but as I'm broke I've had to reign in what I buy.
No hating on buying Aesop and the like, would probably do the same if I had the disposable income!

Lab series power wash, Men-u matt moisturiser, tea tree soap and some of those body buff gloves work a treat with a decent diet and a minimal lactose intake.
PHiL
PHiL avatar

8745 posts since 31/8/03

23 Mar 2013 13:40
I need to sort out shaving regime, I just use a Braun electric shaver at the moment and most of the blemishes I get are from shaving/hair regrowth..

Good products/regime/razor?

Agree with the comments above my skin seems to do what it wants regardless of what products I use/sleep/drink etc.
Ruben
Ruben avatar

10775 posts since 2/7/03

24 Mar 2013 10:09
canhoto wrote:
Ruben wrote: I've had problem skin since I was born and having sampled more products than I care to remember

Same here. Had bad acne throughout my teens and get the odd breakout still Puzzled

Spent shit loads on products over the years but as I'm broke I've had to reign in what I buy.
No hating on buying Aesop and the like, would probably do the same if I had the disposable income!

Lab series power wash, Men-u matt moisturiser, tea tree soap and some of those body buff gloves work a treat with a decent diet and a minimal lactose intake.

Spots have never been much of a problem for me, I had pretty brutal eczema as a child and I've more or less grown out of it over the years - still get the occasional little flare up though and still got sensitive skin. Have to use cortisone creams from time to time but try to avoid, often it's the only thing to curb it though.

I use Sanex Sensitive or Moisturising in the shower, Headlube Matte on my head and face to moisturise (started using it for my head but it turns out to be an excellent one for my face too) or Olay Beauty Fluid for Sensitive Skin. I use E45 Body or Palmers Coco Butter on the rest of my body.

One thing I do find is that generally when I switch to a different product after a few months my skin seems significantly better for a while, so I tend to keep switching back and forth - definitely works for me.

The other thing is a sun tan, pretty much get 100% clear and perfect skin once I get a decent tan on the go.

Ruben
Ruben avatar

10775 posts since 2/7/03

24 Mar 2013 10:11
And lol @ eye tint Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
Serbia
Serbia avatar

4932 posts since 22/3/06

24 Mar 2013 12:04
Hello World wrote:
Serbia wrote: HW/DDD - Is the tinting in the number 7 obvious? cant see that they have different shades so i guess not. Also with touche eclait for men, did you go in and ask re. what shade to get?

i used to use benefit lying eyes concealer but i dont think i ever got the shade right.

bird bought me a big box of aesop to try and some other stuff, but at the moment subscribing to the if it aint broke dont fix rule. dermologica micro exfoliator twice a day and some clinque m lotion and i'm good.


(no homo)

not obvious at all, I only see it because I wipe my hands of excess onto a white flannel, over time between washes you can detect a faint tone. I am not on the YSL Laughing out loud `I dont need it and that definitely crosses into "makeup"

Laughing out loud nice one, im not going down the make up root.
Bennelli
Bennelli avatar

3461 posts since 25/5/11

24 Mar 2013 12:08
Co-sign on the suntan. Just can't bring myself to use it during winter Laughing out loud