General Discussion: So, from tomorrow ordering from Europe costs more ...


Show original post
morgan
morgan avatar

1124 posts since 22/2/11

1 Jan 2021 22:01
We shouldn’t be paying extra VAT as the sellers should be deducting it for UK buyers.
It’s not up to eBay to fucking do it anyway. What’s to stop you being double charged by UK customs?

Fuck eBay. Fuck Brexit and fuck any cunt that voted for it unless they hand a very good reason.
R
R avatar

13280 posts since 17/5/03

1 Jan 2021 22:10
Laughing out loud
swede
swede avatar

9620 posts since 21/3/09

1 Jan 2021 22:17
morgan wrote: We shouldn’t be paying extra VAT as the sellers should be deducting it for UK buyers.
It’s not up to eBay to fucking do it anyway. What’s to stop you being double charged by UK customs?

Fuck eBay. Fuck Brexit and fuck any cunt that voted for it unless they hand a very good reason.


i think the idea is that you wouldn't be charged double customs… sort of like a pre-pay thing. fucking sucks though. genuinely seething
Peanuts
Peanuts avatar

362 posts since 17/5/08

1 Jan 2021 22:43
swede wrote:
morgan wrote: We shouldn’t be paying extra VAT as the sellers should be deducting it for UK buyers.
It’s not up to eBay to fucking do it anyway. What’s to stop you being double charged by UK customs?

Fuck eBay. Fuck Brexit and fuck any cunt that voted for it unless they hand a very good reason.


i think the idea is that you wouldn't be charged double customs… sort of like a pre-pay thing. fucking sucks though. genuinely seething

Working both ways, just went to place an order on End and this pops up:

Your order will be shipped on a DAP (Delivered at Place) service and you may be required to pay duties and taxes on your purchase when it arrives in the destination country.

Problem is, End aren't knocking the VAT off their end so I'd end up paying VAT twice, once in the UK and then again in Ireland.
swede
swede avatar

9620 posts since 21/3/09

1 Jan 2021 22:47
Laughing out loud ffs
gawkrodger
gawkrodger avatar

7633 posts since 4/11/08

1 Jan 2021 23:26
the gov page on this is really useful

https://www.gov.uk/buying-europe-1-jan-2021
smith
smith avatar

11214 posts since 5/5/04

posted 1 Jan 2021 23:58, edited 1 Jan 2021 23:58
This is so fucked up.

Best explanation I can find of it all in this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgJ1C5B0T8

To summarise cost us more to receive goods from abroad and more red tape to send abroad and that's if you even find a buyer willing to accept the import VAT due to us being an outsider now.

Cheers BOJO and you brexit voting cunts.

TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

860 posts since 28/2/12

posted 2 Jan 2021 07:20, edited 2 Jan 2021 07:20
I've yet to hear a valid and strong reason for this brexit malarkey
16simon
16simon avatar

583 posts since 21/4/11

2 Jan 2021 08:10
That .gov page Roll Eyes

I know that Brexit is about more than internet shopping but with 2 years to prepare for this how hard would it be to cover key points like will we pay VAT twice on EU jawnz purchases?
morgan
morgan avatar

1124 posts since 22/2/11

posted 2 Jan 2021 08:28, edited 2 Jan 2021 08:28
Well this is down to the greed or stupidity of the shops in the EU.

They will have to be audited at some point and explain why they have charged VAT on goods leaving the union.

They either know they are in a grey area and are being cheeky fuckers or everyone is using this six month buffer we have.

You can guarantee we will get stung for the VAT even with proof we have already paid it.
Getting that back will be like pulling teeth and I’m just not going a risk it until EU shops remove the fucking VAT like any honest business should.

It’s still early days so I’ll hold my judgement. Nobody knew what was going to happen a week ago so let’s just see. I doubt all the EU shops were redoing their whole e-commerce model in between Xmas and NY.

andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20533 posts since 26/1/06

2 Jan 2021 09:26
R wrote: from what I’ve read, seems like we’ve got a pretty decent deal.

I also don't like the binary polarisation of opinions that has crept into politics (and a lot of other aspects of life) with no space for nuances, but genuine question - what do you think is decent about the deal?
beeper
beeper avatar

161 posts since 22/9/10

posted 2 Jan 2021 10:07, edited 2 Jan 2021 10:07
morgan wrote: Well this is down to the greed or stupidity of the shops in the EU.

They will have to be audited at some point and explain why they have charged VAT on goods leaving the union.

They either know they are in a grey area and are being cheeky fuckers or everyone is using this six month buffer we have.

You can guarantee we will get stung for the VAT even with proof we have already paid it.
Getting that back will be like pulling teeth and I’m just not going a risk it until EU shops remove the fucking VAT like any honest business should.

It’s still early days so I’ll hold my judgement. Nobody knew what was going to happen a week ago so let’s just see. I doubt all the EU shops were redoing their whole e-commerce model in between Xmas and NY.

To be fair to them they’ve had a few days to get their heads round what to do and have probably opted on the safe side of continue to charge their own VAT until they’re clearer.

It is a fuck up though but all of our (and our government’s) own making.

Plus for some of them our country is probably a tiny % of their turnover so why should they change all their processes with a few days notice over Christmas to suit us.
Blofeld
Blofeld avatar

251 posts since 30/12/15

posted 2 Jan 2021 11:32, edited 2 Jan 2021 11:32
in case anyone hadn't considered it: if you're selling on eBay to an EU (or US, or wherever) customer, just drop the price of your listing down to a nominal amount e.g. £20, and then get them to directly PayPal you the rest. Means you get the benefits of eBay's global shipping programme tracking and sorting of VAT while minimising the tax paid.

If the item is used then I wouldn't imagine they'd sting you if they did open up the parcel to check contents if they can see that it has been sold for 20 quid.

*they being customs
toin
toin avatar

2031 posts since 1/4/13

2 Jan 2021 11:38
So if the package gets lost, isnt as expected, you got scammed etc, would the buyer only get $20 back from ebay unless the seller also gives back the rest of it?

Would never do this as a buyer
Blofeld
Blofeld avatar

251 posts since 30/12/15

2 Jan 2021 11:49
Yeah that is potentially a sticking point. Not sure if PayPal would cover even if paid by Goods & Services. Efficacy definitely relies on a strong dose of goodwill.
Richgee
Richgee avatar

128 posts since 26/4/15

2 Jan 2021 12:05
Rirawin wrote: Be interested to know if some of the Brexiteers on this forum, Dee, Rickrude, Fudge et al. are happy that this is the brexit they voted for.

They’ll blame everyone else as usual.
Richgee
Richgee avatar

128 posts since 26/4/15

2 Jan 2021 12:11
Rirawin wrote: Voted to remain, but completely disagree with this remain(ers) = good, leave(rs) = bad rhetoric, which is exhibited throughout politics, particularly from the left. I’ve been massively impacted by the fallout of this, but it was a far from ideal/utopian ‘partnership’ and from what I’ve read, seems like we’ve got a pretty decent deal. The fact that a few idiots (myself included) may end up paying a few quid on importing clothes is hardly a significant part of this process.

Of course its nuanced, and nobody claimed the eu was perfect, its the lies that were ingested and then repeated that really grates. If you propagated any of the 350 mill, turkey, take back control lies then you should own this future.

Blaming everybody else just shows buyers remorse and that you now accept it is shit and you made the wrong call.
Richgee
Richgee avatar

128 posts since 26/4/15

2 Jan 2021 12:16
TROYBOY wrote: I've yet to hear a valid and strong reason for this brexit malarkey

To increase the gap between rich and poor, and turn us into a zero tax zero social provision libertarians country.

Fuck poor people basically.
R
R avatar

13280 posts since 17/5/03

2 Jan 2021 12:36
andymakesglasses wrote:
R wrote: from what I’ve read, seems like we’ve got a pretty decent deal.

I also don't like the binary polarisation of opinions that has crept into politics (and a lot of other aspects of life) with no space for nuances, but genuine question - what do you think is decent about the deal?

Relative free trade with the EU and increased sovereignty?
R
R avatar

13280 posts since 17/5/03

2 Jan 2021 12:37
Richgee wrote:
Rirawin wrote: Be interested to know if some of the Brexiteers on this forum, Dee, Rickrude, Fudge et al. are happy that this is the brexit they voted for.

They’ll blame everyone else as usual.

The irony of this…