General Discussion: The Coffee Thread!


Show original post
pentonville
pentonville avatar

671 posts since 12/3/12

28 May 2020 22:30
There seem to be a lot of Aeropress users on here so thought I’d post this- https://aeropress.com/championships/wac-recipes/

I rarely use the Aeropress but I have the UK champion’s recipe and method a go and it gave a noticeably more complex result.
Sumbeam
Sumbeam avatar

873 posts since 27/1/11

7 Jun 2020 16:05
Had my 1st coffee from a proper shop since the start of the lockdown today - I’ve got a Nespresso machine at home but it made me realise how far from the real thing it is.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a basic coffee machine that I could use to make flat whites at home?
What other equipment would I need?

I’m literally clueless so any help would be much appreciated.
jacko198
jacko198 avatar

389 posts since 23/10/09

7 Jun 2020 17:26
Depends how much you want to spend really. The Sage Barista Express is what I have, does everything I could need. They have a built in grinder and come with absolutely everything you need. For the money they are considered the best, the next step after that unfortunately is £2000 for a La Marzocco or a Decent Espresso Machine

https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-barista-express-bean-to-cup-coffee-machine-with-milk-jug-stainless-steel/p3495241?sku=234865235&colour;=Stainless+Steel&s;_ppc=2dx92700053277635607&tmad;=c&tmcampid;=2&gclid;=Cj0KCQjwoPL2BRDxARIsAEMm9y-qQveICBtdd3Hc_adfPYE8Un7cUD9CnP65A6KcI3iF3wbVI6OAFKkaAs5lEALw_wcB&gclsrc;=aw.ds

They are around £550 new but you can get one used for 3-400 on eBay, (even less if your lucky, some go for £200)
Sumbeam
Sumbeam avatar

873 posts since 27/1/11

7 Jun 2020 21:10
Nice one, cheers Jacko - will have a look into it. I was hoping to spend no more than £300 ideally so will see if I can find one around that price
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20393 posts since 26/1/06

8 Jun 2020 08:47
You don't even need to spend that much (particularly if you're using pre-ground coffee). Bought a 90 quid De'Longhi 4 years ago with a milk frother and it's still going strong. This one but they don't make it any more. Their latest equivalent ones are around £140 to £190.
exactlythat
exactlythat avatar

2343 posts since 27/10/07

posted 8 Jun 2020 15:13, edited 8 Jun 2020 15:13
better off to get a gaggia classic and a decent burr grinder [old mazzzer on ebay, or an iberital mc2].

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaggia-Classic-Espresso-Coffee-Machine-Upgraded-Steamer/193505600708?hash=item2d0dd524c4:g:x4AAAOSwHjxe3jSF

https://www.happydonkey.co.uk/product/iberital-mc2-auto-domestic-coffee-grinder/

budget more for the grinder
FrIEND
FrIEND avatar

13585 posts since 27/11/03

posted 8 Jun 2020 18:11, edited 8 Jun 2020 18:11
andymakesglasses wrote: You don't even need to spend that much (particularly if you're using pre-ground coffee). Bought a 90 quid De'Longhi 4 years ago with a milk frother and it's still going strong. This one but they don't make it any more. Their latest equivalent ones are around £140 to £190.

This is the one I have but in black. Did a bit of research before buying and I think most have the same internals and you’re then just paying extra for looks. Used it every day for a couple of years and would now like an upgrade but doesn’t seem worth it unless paying a couple of hundred more

I’d also say it’s really good - can’t be arsed with grinding (but can if you want) so buy pre ground and it ends up better than most places (unless going to a high end decent place)
sofashionmuchamaze
sofashionmuchamaze avatar

791 posts since 12/12/13

8 Jun 2020 20:37
andymakesglasses wrote: You don't even need to spend that much (particularly if you're using pre-ground coffee). Bought a 90 quid De'Longhi 4 years ago with a milk frother and it's still going strong. This one but they don't make it any more. Their latest equivalent ones are around £140 to £190.

Please don't buy pre-ground coffee (or coffee at a supermarket at all).
Egan
Egan avatar

438 posts since 17/10/11

8 Jun 2020 20:53
ginner wrote: Origin stuff arrived today after ordering on Monday. Roasted date on it was yesterday. Good deal for £6/bag that.

Thought the Origin Coffee was lovely. Ordered a couple of bags today, so hopefully come by next week.
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20393 posts since 26/1/06

9 Jun 2020 08:16
sofashionmuchamaze wrote: Please don't buy pre-ground coffee (or coffee at a supermarket at all).

I'm saving up for a Porsche.
sofashionmuchamaze
sofashionmuchamaze avatar

791 posts since 12/12/13

9 Jun 2020 10:37
andymakesglasses wrote:
sofashionmuchamaze wrote: Please don't buy pre-ground coffee (or coffee at a supermarket at all).

I'm saving up for a Porsche.

What scale?
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1112 posts since 1/7/09

9 Jun 2020 11:10
I remember reading that the Fat Duck use Nespresso for coffee, and turns out a lot of other Michelin * restaurants do the same. Lead me to this article:

https://aeon.co/essays/is-nothing-sacred-any-more-the-death-of-artisan-coffee
Sumbeam
Sumbeam avatar

873 posts since 27/1/11

9 Jun 2020 18:00
Found a good deal on the Sage Bambino Plus in the end at £229 brand new - so I’ve bought that.
On the lookout for a decent burr grinder now - any recommendations for one under £50ish?
swede
swede avatar

8834 posts since 21/3/09

9 Jun 2020 18:13
whats the deal for origin coffee / any referral codes etc knocking about?
FrIEND
FrIEND avatar

13585 posts since 27/11/03

9 Jun 2020 20:38
swiftus wrote: I remember reading that the Fat Duck use Nespresso for coffee, and turns out a lot of other Michelin * restaurants do the same. Lead me to this article:

https://aeon.co/essays/is-nothing-sacred-any-more-the-death-of-artisan-coffee

Noticing this more. Maybe not nespresso but deffo automated machines…and for high volume places I’m not sure I blame them really but does take something special out of it. But I’d imagine the job would suck if you’re working in Costa or somewhere and having to steam milk all day….not the same for proper nice places.

pentonville
pentonville avatar

671 posts since 12/3/12

9 Jun 2020 20:58
Sumbeam wrote: On the lookout for a decent burr grinder now - any recommendations for one under £50ish?

Honestly at that price your only hope is to find someone giving away a barely used Wilfa svart
pentonville
pentonville avatar

671 posts since 12/3/12

9 Jun 2020 21:01
As someone mentioned earlier, the cost of an espresso-capable grinder will far outweigh the cost of your coffee machine. You will need something that produces consistent, fine grounds.
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1548 posts since 24/3/14

posted 9 Jun 2020 21:20, edited 9 Jun 2020 21:20
FrIEND wrote:
swiftus wrote: I remember reading that the Fat Duck use Nespresso for coffee, and turns out a lot of other Michelin * restaurants do the same. Lead me to this article:

https://aeon.co/essays/is-nothing-sacred-any-more-the-death-of-artisan-coffee

Noticing this more. Maybe not nespresso but deffo automated machines…and for high volume places I’m not sure I blame them really but does take something special out of it. But I’d imagine the job would suck if you’re working in Costa or somewhere and having to steam milk all day….not the same for proper nice places.

They do it at McDonalds.

You reckon the Fat Duck would manage.
RAMBO
RAMBO avatar

780 posts since 27/11/09

10 Jun 2020 07:31
Where did you find it for £229 looking for one too


Sumbeam wrote: Found a good deal on the Sage Bambino Plus in the end at £229 brand new - so I’ve bought that.
On the lookout for a decent burr grinder now - any recommendations for one under £50ish?
Sumbeam wrote: Found a good deal on the Sage Bambino Plus in the end at £229 brand new - so I’ve bought that.
On the lookout for a decent burr grinder now - any recommendations for one under £50ish?



Sumbeam wrote: Found a good deal on the Sage Bambino Plus in the end at £229 brand new - so I’ve bought that.
On the lookout for a decent burr grinder now - any recommendations for one under £50ish?
Sumbeam
Sumbeam avatar

873 posts since 27/1/11

10 Jun 2020 08:46
It was from Currys/PC World mate, I had to go pick it up from my local store - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/sage-the-bambino-plus-ses500bhy-coffee-machine-smoked-hickory-10201337-pdt.html

RAMBO wrote: Where did you find it for £229 looking for one too
Sumbeam wrote: Found a good deal on the Sage Bambino Plus in the end at £229 brand new - so I’ve bought that.
On the lookout for a decent burr grinder now - any recommendations for one under £50ish?