Menswear: The DENIM Thread


Brad
Brad avatar

5019 posts since 20/6/01

posted 5 Dec 2011 20:54, edited 5 Dec 2011 20:54
Official thread sponsor: The Denim Doctor. First aid for your old denim.

———————————————————————————-

Acne - fit true to size

APC New Standards -size down 2 or even 3 from true waist size

APC New Cures - size down 1 or 2 from true waist size

April 77 - size down 1 or 2 from true waist size

Dior raw 19s and 21s - have vanity sizing and are labelled as two sizes smaller than actual size

Edwin Nashvilles - size down 1" - quite a different fit to most jeans out there though (massive rise, loose at thigh and comparitively tapered at the leg).

Julian Red - fit small, so maybe true to size on raw and possibly size up on non raws

Nudies - size down 1 or 2

Raf by Raf - true

Ring - true

(New thread, old one started by Paulo G, archived here)
shego
shego avatar

1542 posts since 11/12/07

3 Aug 2017 09:08
Used Melvin last month - still good quality - but quite slow this time..
Dee
Dee avatar

11092 posts since 22/11/07

3 Aug 2017 09:28
Cool will get in touch
Toasted
Toasted avatar

1648 posts since 15/10/09

13 Aug 2017 16:06
I want some heavy wash denim. Normally wear Vis 03. What do I get?
Toasted
Toasted avatar

1648 posts since 15/10/09

13 Aug 2017 16:11
Tempted by the SLP distressed 15.5cm on MR P
swede
swede avatar

7823 posts since 21/3/09

15 Sep 2017 09:10
I need some new straight leg black jeans. acne have stopped doing the "van" and replaced it with the "land" which look way too baggy. bought some APC low standards at christmas which are amazing, but they seemed to only do that cut for 1 season Cry

uniqlo dont do a straight leg black jean either anymore for some reason. rarely wear skinny/slim jeans anymore so no point in buying more

currently looking at the cos straight leg black jeans, slightly wary about the quality of their denim though - anyone had any experience? any other suggestions?

Doogan
Doogan avatar

465 posts since 13/4/14

15 Sep 2017 09:11
Orslow 107?
blackham
blackham avatar

1696 posts since 17/7/13

15 Sep 2017 10:08
swede wrote: currently looking at the cos straight leg black jeans, slightly wary about the quality of their denim though - anyone had any experience? any other suggestions?

fit on the COS is usually pretty good, but as you said, the quality of denim isn't the same as, say, APC or orSlow. My COS jeans seem to thread away within 6 months.
Rez
Rez avatar

7920 posts since 5/4/09

15 Sep 2017 10:17
swede wrote: I need some new straight leg black jeans. acne have stopped doing the "van" and replaced it with the "land" which look way too baggy. bought some APC low standards at christmas which are amazing, but they seemed to only do that cut for 1 season Cry

uniqlo dont do a straight leg black jean either anymore for some reason. rarely wear skinny/slim jeans anymore so no point in buying more

currently looking at the cos straight leg black jeans, slightly wary about the quality of their denim though - anyone had any experience? any other suggestions?

Quite like my our legacy first cut, come up cheap on ebay occasionally.
swede
swede avatar

7823 posts since 21/3/09

15 Sep 2017 10:33
cheers all, will take a look into orslow. I can get the cos jeans at 25% off so may be worth a punt for 6 months at £50. I have (naturally) considered legacy but hard to find a 32 or 33 discounted - will keep an eye out
Double D
Double D avatar

3552 posts since 8/3/07

15 Sep 2017 11:03
how big a leg opening are you after? unbranded black chino selvedge are decent, picked a pair up for 35 quid.
figurine
figurine avatar

5625 posts since 14/5/07

15 Sep 2017 16:02
Double D wrote: how big a leg opening are you after? unbranded black chino selvedge are decent, picked a pair up for 35 quid.
Where from?
Robadob
Robadob avatar

1435 posts since 29/12/04

15 Sep 2017 17:41
Probably been answered a thousand times but I want to get a pair of jeans tapered from the knee down on the inseam. I'd also like them to retain the topstitching, which if I remember correctly the denim doctor won't do. Any suggestions?
beardywierdy
beardywierdy avatar

494 posts since 8/1/13

15 Sep 2017 19:31
I was there today dropping some jeans off. I could've have asked him. Picking up on Wednesday if you want me to ask
swede
swede avatar

7823 posts since 21/3/09

19 Sep 2017 13:25
swede wrote: cheers all, will take a look into orslow. I can get the cos jeans at 25% off so may be worth a punt for 6 months at £50. I have (naturally) considered legacy but hard to find a 32 or 33 discounted - will keep an eye out

cos jeans seem ok quality for the price. definitely a bit baggy in the arse/crotch area though

today just seen that arket are doing selvedge regular fit jeans for a good price. will be investigating
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6349 posts since 5/6/07

19 Sep 2017 20:34
Max Cash still about. Too slim for you?
Whilst on the topic, is there a new Bla Konst equivalent to Max?
Or can anyone link me to a pair of Max Light Vintage wash in a 34/32?
Double D
Double D avatar

3552 posts since 8/3/07

21 Sep 2017 08:28
figurine wrote:
Double D wrote: how big a leg opening are you after? unbranded black chino selvedge are decent, picked a pair up for 35 quid.
Where from?
pop up on ebay now and again

the actual site does free international shipping now and again the actual white weft selvedge blacks are very decent
swede
swede avatar

7823 posts since 21/3/09

10 Oct 2017 12:56
swede wrote:
swede wrote: cheers all, will take a look into orslow. I can get the cos jeans at 25% off so may be worth a punt for 6 months at £50. I have (naturally) considered legacy but hard to find a 32 or 33 discounted - will keep an eye out

cos jeans seem ok quality for the price. definitely a bit baggy in the arse/crotch area though

today just seen that arket are doing selvedge regular fit jeans for a good price. will be investigating

got the arket standard cut jeans. really really nice. much better made than the cos ones, and a good straight fit. not too boxy and arts student. liking them a lot
jacko198
jacko198 avatar

244 posts since 23/10/09

15 Oct 2017 21:02
Is the Denim Doctor still going? Need some Edwins taken up. Anywhere better?

Do you always need to go from the Knee if you want to taper more? They fit well on the calf but the opening is a little too big!
hicksmat
hicksmat avatar

1 posts since 3/2/17

16 Oct 2017 12:37
jacko198 wrote: Is the Denim Doctor still going? Need some Edwins taken up. Anywhere better?

Do you always need to go from the Knee if you want to taper more? They fit well on the calf but the opening is a little too big!

yes, still going strong, I use Michael all the time. top man.
Nobuyoshi
Nobuyoshi avatar

407 posts since 27/12/13

23 Oct 2017 09:17
I've had a problem the last four-five year with denim, I'm a 29" leg and quite short (5ft 9 or so) so generally have to get stuff taken up, after I do I always end up with a pair of jeans that curve/bow inwards at the ankle making them look rubbish and quite odd, anyone know any denim experts in London that could help with this? someone equivalent to the denim doctor? I've ruined countless pairs of jeans in the last few years and would love to find someone who really knows what they're doing.