Menswear: trews in 2019

Show original post
Doogan
Doogan avatar

477 posts since 13/4/14

1 May 2019 16:47
For the office folk, what shoes do you wear with chinos?

I might start wearing them to work instead of a suit but don't really want to wear my CPs with them as I do now.
illwill
illwill avatar

3589 posts since 17/5/04

1 May 2019 17:24
A chunky derby, brogue or chukka.

E.g. Sanders or Trickers.

Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7100 posts since 21/4/05

1 May 2019 17:29
Penny loafer, desert boot, boat shoes, Sperry style trainer, blucher moccasin…
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7100 posts since 21/4/05

1 May 2019 17:29
Not tried them but there seem to be a few UK stockists for these made in Italy chinos
http://www.fourtenindustry.com/en/home/

Peggs for example
gaving
gaving avatar

109 posts since 18/2/12

1 May 2019 18:17
Casual derbys should be fine
Doogan
Doogan avatar

477 posts since 13/4/14

posted 2 May 2019 19:10, edited 2 May 2019 19:10
My office is going 'business casual' so I'm keen to gradually move away from suits. Not wanting to spend much initially as it is just for work.

I'm thinking of trying Arket for some slim fit chinos and an Oxford. I know Uniqlo do decent Oxfords for the money, so might get some of them as well.

Anywhere doing reasonable Derbys for around a ton? These seem ok: https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/collections/derby-shoes/products/leather-derby-davinc28507-313-555?variant=14466021523519

figurine
figurine avatar

5724 posts since 14/5/07

2 May 2019 19:18
Can normally get a pair of Grensons for around that in sales if you look around.
Sneakysbest
Sneakysbest avatar

1904 posts since 28/1/12

2 May 2019 19:28
Just buy some Samuel Windsor’s they are like 35/40 quid. Get fucked relatively quickly, but so does stomping round the city in any pair of shoes.

Am I the only one that derby/loafers with chinos at work looks mega naff/river island? Solid pair of penny/tassel loafers, or buckle if your a cunt like that, looks far better
Scottishmark
Scottishmark avatar

520 posts since 25/1/11

2 May 2019 19:31
No hate on anyone here but I don’t get the “I don’t want to spent too much money cause it’s just for work” mantra.

In terms of your waking hours - or at least your waking hours when you’re with other people and give a fuck what you’ve wearing - that’s probably where you spend most time.

Not only that but it’s where you’re probably looking to make the best impression, assuming you want to get ahead in your career.

I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to spend decent coin on clothes under explanation that they’re “only for work”?
figurine
figurine avatar

5724 posts since 14/5/07

2 May 2019 19:32
If you're wearing £35 derbies it will look shit, don't think £35 penny loafers will be much better.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

4532 posts since 26/9/09

2 May 2019 19:43
Scottishmark wrote: No hate on anyone here but I don’t get the “I don’t want to spent too much money cause it’s just for work” mantra.

In terms of your waking hours - or at least your waking hours when you’re with other people and give a fuck what you’ve wearing - that’s probably where you spend most time.

Not only that but it’s where you’re probably looking to make the best impression, assuming you want to get ahead in your career.

I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to spend decent coin on clothes under explanation that they’re “only for work”?

Outside of working in the fashion industry I’d be perturbed to think that career progression was linked to what I wore as opposed to my competencies.
Scottishmark
Scottishmark avatar

520 posts since 25/1/11

posted 2 May 2019 19:49, edited 2 May 2019 19:49
What you wear and how you present yourself impacts hugely on how you are perceived. I’m surprised this seems to be news to anyone really?

I’m not saying you need to be draped head to toe in bespoke tailoring to make any head way but the “it’s only work, I don’t want to spend any sort of money” attitude baffles me, that’s all.
Sneakysbest
Sneakysbest avatar

1904 posts since 28/1/12

posted 2 May 2019 19:50, edited 2 May 2019 19:50
Not sure what your smoking scottishmark, but thankfully (or actually, completely fucking normally) my ability to progress in my career is not judged on whether I’m wearing Churchs or office own brand shoes.

I’m not adverse to spending decent money on work clothes, but wearing them 10+ hours a day, no matter how much coin you drop they will wear out, so it’s about striking a balance. I also was suggesting Samuel Windsor’s as the bloke asking wants to do things on the inexpensive side.
Scottishmark
Scottishmark avatar

520 posts since 25/1/11

posted 2 May 2019 20:21, edited 2 May 2019 20:21
You’re entirely missing the point and it’s got nothing to do with wearing “Churchs or office own brand”. It’s to do with the attitude of thinking that work isn’t a place worth wearing anything decent. I just don’t get that. You could, for instance, get a pair of Loake on eBay for £100 or less. That, I’d say, is entry level “decent”. That pair of Loake, properly cared for, will outlast numerous pairs of “office own brand shoes” and they’ll look better than the office own brand. Cheap shoes will look cheap from day one.

And you’re right. If you wear anything for 10 hours a day, day in day out, it’ll end up fucked. That’s common sense. It’d happen to a Next suit and office shoes or an Anderson Sheppard suit and Saint Crispin’s shoes. I’m not disagreeing with that. The difference being that’s if you had 3 decent suits and 2 decent pairs of shoes, the shoes would last 10 years if you cared for then properly. The suits, probably not, but they’d last longer and look better than the Next suit.
Doogan
Doogan avatar

477 posts since 13/4/14

2 May 2019 20:21
Scottishmark wrote: No hate on anyone here but I don’t get the “I don’t want to spent too much money cause it’s just for work” mantra.

I go to TM Lewin/Charles Tyrwhitt for work related stuff at the moment as I wear through trousers fairly quickly and I'm not convinced more expensive options would look significantly better (people like us would notice but the average punter probably wouldn't).

I hear what you are saying though. If the company sticks to business casual and it gets widely adopted then chances are that I'll start wearing better gear and go for nicer shoes etc. I fancy Alden's/Church's but will hold off for now.

I mentioned Arket as well - I really rate their stuff.

Scottishmark
Scottishmark avatar

520 posts since 25/1/11

2 May 2019 20:31
You’re wearing through trousers too quickly because they’re either too tight in the wrong places or you don’t have enough rotation in your wardrobe. It’s not a slight on you at all and, in fact, the way today’s overly slim styles are heading it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if it’s the former.

That being said, if you’ve got a suit cut with enough room in the top block trouser wise and you’re not wearing it every day (i.e you’ve got min 2 suits in rotation) then it’s not normal to be wearing through trousers quickly. None of that really relates to price or quality thought but rather fit. If you’ve got a £2k suit that’s cut too tight the trousers will wear through quicker than a Next suit that’s cut somewhere closer to fitting.
Sneakysbest
Sneakysbest avatar

1904 posts since 28/1/12

2 May 2019 20:38
Think we are labouring the same point here - spend money within reason on work clothes. What I was disagreeing with is wearing derbies/brogues prefer loafers.

Doogan, try getting a saddle (no horse riding) in the trews if your knackering them out quickly. I tend to get a second pair of trosusers made when I get a suit so you prelong them. Love Arket chinos and Oxford shirts, wear them at work myself (awaits swede telling me how much of a cunt I am for that)
Doogan
Doogan avatar

477 posts since 13/4/14

2 May 2019 20:38
I currently have about 6/7 pairs of suit trousers in rotation (I wear business dress 4 days a week, with casual dress on Fridays). I find the knees tend to get a bit faded on my trousers with navy pairs being the worst. I haven't a clue why as I'm just sitting on my arse all day and I look after my stuff.

I never get the suit jackets to fit well either - the front often is decent but I usually get a collar roll around the back.

I'll be glad to be getting away from wearing suits tbh. My only decent fitting suit is one I got made in Vietnam.

swede
swede avatar

7927 posts since 21/3/09

posted 2 May 2019 20:46, edited 2 May 2019 20:46
Doogan wrote: For the office folk, what shoes do you wear with chinos?

I might start wearing them to work instead of a suit but don't really want to wear my CPs with them as I do now.

depends what look you are going for… I wear doc martens 1461 monos (no yellow stitching). go with everything (except light chinos). so comfy yet so hard wearing. would highly recommend

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/11839002

dr martens do other styles too. their made in GB versions are a bit less chunky. went for these after rinsing through so many crepe soled shoes like desert boots etc. despite being in an office - wearing shoes 5 days a week and shuffling between meeting rooms, lunch runs etc does actually knacker shoes. can imagine if you're in the rat race on the tube it kills shoes even faster. really is worth investing in a decent pair
swede
swede avatar

7927 posts since 21/3/09

2 May 2019 20:52
Sneakysbest wrote: Just buy some Samuel Windsor’s they are like 35/40 quid. Get fucked relatively quickly, but so does stomping round the city in any pair of shoes.

fucking hell awful awful advice do not do this