Menswear: Virgil Abloh


Show original post
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

7256 posts since 5/6/07

27 Mar 2018 21:38
Interested to see where this goes really. Thing is you’re very vulnerable in the hype machine and a lot of people will be waiting to tear him down so he has to impress quickly and how can he when he’s such a one trick pony.

Whole fashion worlds gone mad anyway. Kim Jones at Dior? What the fuck? Laughing out loud



Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

8056 posts since 21/4/05

27 Mar 2018 22:01
Isn't the creative director something of a figurehead who will just try and make strategic decisions (based on a wealth of analysts and advertising trends) about the 'direction' a label wants to go, in discussions with other directors / board members?

This isn't like Ralph Lauren where he IS the label and has seemingly wrestled back creative control or a collection created by a person and their designers. I would guess the board just want the existing designers to create more in the vein of his previous work / collaborate for that sweet RMB.


Nobuyoshi
Nobuyoshi avatar

465 posts since 27/12/13

28 Mar 2018 01:09
illwill wrote: Virgil Abloh and his ilk were the point where I realised that I'm just not down with the kids anymore.

I spend time with tonnes of people 18-22 etc into fashion and none of them fuck with Virgil or Vetements, hypebeast and the internet may give the impression that the majority of young people are really into this stuff but I don't see many people wearing off white or vetements unless I'm walking by the supreme queue / on instagram / see some asian tourists.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23965 posts since 14/10/04

28 Mar 2018 08:49
Yup most shop in Topman and Zara.

Arabs love OF
Murakami
Murakami avatar

13343 posts since 9/5/05

28 Mar 2018 10:08




Crackajack wrote: Isn't the creative director something of a figurehead who will just try and make strategic decisions (based on a wealth of analysts and advertising trends) about the 'direction' a label wants to go

This is it exactly
GameOver
GameOver avatar

1840 posts since 1/6/06

28 Mar 2018 10:33
EssexBoyII wrote: Whole fashion worlds gone mad anyway. Kim Jones at Dior? What the fuck? Laughing out loud

Also struggling to envisage how this one will play out
Murakami
Murakami avatar

13343 posts since 9/5/05

28 Mar 2018 10:37
Hopes the Kim steers it away from that tired Hedi / skinny boy aesthetic
nothingelseworked
nothingelseworked avatar

3575 posts since 21/2/10

28 Mar 2018 15:14
Nobuyoshi wrote:
illwill wrote: Virgil Abloh and his ilk were the point where I realised that I'm just not down with the kids anymore.

I spend time with tonnes of people 18-22 etc into fashion and none of them fuck with Virgil or Vetements, hypebeast and the internet may give the impression that the majority of young people are really into this stuff but I don't see many people wearing off white or vetements unless I'm walking by the supreme queue / on instagram / see some asian tourists.

IMO they don't fuck with it 'cause they can't afford it. For example, all that chunky wanky trainer shite that those brands are doing is fucking everywhere - the kids may not be wearing Balenciaga, Virgil/OW, Vetements etc, but they're wearing the cheaper / knock-off stuff that looks like it.

Can see the influence everywhere in London. Walk literally anywhere.
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1603 posts since 24/3/14

28 Mar 2018 15:23
nothingelseworked wrote:
Nobuyoshi wrote:
illwill wrote: Virgil Abloh and his ilk were the point where I realised that I'm just not down with the kids anymore.

I spend time with tonnes of people 18-22 etc into fashion and none of them fuck with Virgil or Vetements, hypebeast and the internet may give the impression that the majority of young people are really into this stuff but I don't see many people wearing off white or vetements unless I'm walking by the supreme queue / on instagram / see some asian tourists.

IMO they don't fuck with it 'cause they can't afford it. For example, all that chunky wanky trainer shite that those brands are doing is fucking everywhere - the kids may not be wearing Balenciaga, Virgil/OW, Vetements etc, but they're wearing the cheaper / knock-off stuff that looks like it.

Can see the influence everywhere in London. Walk literally anywhere.

Think it's the other way around.

Orthopedic clog foot trainers and these things were really popular when I studied at the Art Academy. That was 4/5 years ago. Just to name a specific example.


High Fashion sits at the early adapters side of the curve, not the innovators.
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1603 posts since 24/3/14

28 Mar 2018 15:26
Razorlight123 wrote:
sodomgomorra wrote: Imagine being at Louis Vuitton after putting in the work as a fashion student. Enduring being poor as dirt, long hours and shitty job prospects- because you love what you do. Suddenly this talentless hackjob is your new creative director. Because hype.

Unsure you can really discredit him and call him 'talentless', just because it doesn't fit our definition of talent within an industry, got to give credit where credit is due. Also, he has put the work in, if anything it kinda highlights that there are various avenues to getting into certain places these days, not everything is linear.


Oh bugger off.

As those cringey dad ninjas at SZ put it:



. In the fashion industry Abloh is widely considered to not be a real designer, but a savvy image-maker who has risen to the top through celebrity connections – most notably that of Kanye West – and social media.

Abloh, who has no education in fashion design, began his fashion career by printing Caravaggio paintings onto Champion sweatshirts for his first line, Pyrex Vision, and charging several times over their retail price. These, and his other streetwear items with “PYREX 23” (“23” after Michael Jordan’s jersey number), printed in stark white on black, owed an obvious debt to what Ricardo Tisci was doing at Givenchy.

When rappers like Kanye West and ASAP Rocky began wearing them, hype quickly caught on. Capitalizing on that, Abloh went full force into fashion, by creating Off-White, a full-fledged line. But his work at Off-White, which added womenswear to his menswear, has remained largely meritless as fashion design – most of it is simply rehashing of apparel archetypes – jeans, hoodies, tees, denim jackets and so on. The majority of these aren’t even redesigned, but simply covered with a highly visible Off-White logo of wide slanted black and white stripes that resemble a traffic sign. It photographs well, and it telegraphs immediately what you are wearing. It’s irresistible Instagram fodder. And it sells like hotcakes.

TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

987 posts since 28/2/12

28 Mar 2018 16:04
HA HA.
shame
shame avatar

1733 posts since 17/7/12

28 Mar 2018 17:46
it seems to be a good move when even fuk has an on going thread for this guy.
personally i couldn't care less about louis vuitton or that virgil guy, but i don't see the hate either. 99% of fashion is 'rehashing of apparel archetypes' and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because he didn't went to st.martins is not a valid point for anything, it just shows that we live in a different world than 5 years ago.
manula
manula avatar

1648 posts since 11/9/11

posted 28 Mar 2018 18:32, edited 28 Mar 2018 18:32
I couldnt care less either, but in a way its kinda great, destroy the dominance of white highbrow fashion people, just as Edward Enninful is the new editor at Vogue UK, the fashion world is changing, thats awesome!
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1603 posts since 24/3/14

28 Mar 2018 18:39
manula wrote: I couldnt care less either, but in a way its kinda great, destroy the dominance of white highbrow fashion people, just as Edward Enninful is the new editor at Vogue UK, the fashion world is changing, thats awesome!

?

It's just a blatant cash grab. I don't see how that relates in anyway to Edward Enninful.

manula
manula avatar

1648 posts since 11/9/11

28 Mar 2018 18:47
I could have written Radhika Jones, the new editor for Vanity Fair aswell, an approximately white dominated area is changing
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1603 posts since 24/3/14

posted 28 Mar 2018 19:06, edited 28 Mar 2018 19:06
Strongly doubt LVMHis in it for anything other than corporate greed.
manula
manula avatar

1648 posts since 11/9/11

28 Mar 2018 19:09
people should be more upset that the untalented twat Jeremy Scott is Creative designer at Moschino and rmaking them releasing my little pony collections
manula
manula avatar

1648 posts since 11/9/11

28 Mar 2018 19:09
sodomgomorra wrote: Strongly doubt LVMHis in it for anything other than corporate greed.
Still a change!
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

7256 posts since 5/6/07

28 Mar 2018 19:14
This is the problem ‘oh he’s black so that’s diversity and it must be good’. If Olivier Rouesting (sp??) took over women’s couture at LV, I’d be thinking yeah. He has his own aesthetic and it fits well and would probably look great but VA was printing big letters of the back of flannel shirts a few years ago and that’s probably one of the more creative things he’s done in his designing life. Not everything is disabling the old rich white fashion hierarchy unless it based on meritocracy, not empty hype
manula
manula avatar

1648 posts since 11/9/11

28 Mar 2018 19:38
but printing big letters on flannel shirt is pretty much what every fashion students do in the beginning,
Fucking Raf Simons is printing Talking Heads and Joy Division (bands everyone already finds cool) on t-shirts and is considered some kind of genius, that is fashion.