General Discussion: what are you reading?


Show original post
87
87 avatar

3357 posts since 21/6/08

25 Apr 2015 17:39

jimmoleum
jimmoleum avatar

1304 posts since 15/5/12

18 Sep 2015 23:04
My Lunches with Orson: Conversations Between Henry Jaglom and Orson Welles - Best ive read in a long while. Absolute genius.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

4533 posts since 26/9/09

22 Jan 2016 13:14
Just got the posthumous Hitchens release, anyway anyone know how much the older all gone books go for? think i've got 2007, 2008 maybe others
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

3962 posts since 24/8/06

23 Jan 2016 10:10
Don't think I mentioned on here but I read Middlesex and The Shipping News last year. Both amazing and id definitely recommend. Up there with my favourites.
jimmoleum
jimmoleum avatar

1304 posts since 15/5/12

3 Oct 2016 22:29
Forever Young, The Story of Adrian Doherty, Footballs` Lost Genius, by Oliver Kay - Ubercool

I Am Duran by Roberto Duran - Preferred Hands of Stone but decent enough.

JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2473 posts since 11/6/08

21 Oct 2016 11:08
After re-reading The Count of Montecristo, just finished The Three Musketeers & then Twenty Years After, both fantastic. Going to pick up the third one in the D'Artagnan series (Ten Years Later).

Just copped Last Exit to Brooklyn & The Room off ebay.
MLI
MLI avatar

4406 posts since 6/10/09

21 Oct 2016 12:09
Marine: a tour of a USMC MEU by Tom Clancy.

Picked up used in an industrial area
Dee
Dee avatar

11190 posts since 22/11/07

posted 16 Sep 2017 19:07, edited 16 Sep 2017 19:07
beardywierdy
beardywierdy avatar

519 posts since 8/1/13

16 Sep 2017 20:08
Any good Dee
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14272 posts since 21/2/07

17 Sep 2017 10:46
No - Murray is a prat
Dee
Dee avatar

11190 posts since 22/11/07

19 Sep 2017 04:49
beardywierdy wrote: Any good Dee

Yes - blinkered in places but full of unmistakable facts, worth a read.
illwill
illwill avatar

3595 posts since 17/5/04

19 Sep 2017 05:49
Want to to start listening to audiobooks instead of podcasts.

What's the best setup? Audible is 7.99 a month for a single book. I imagine I would go through a number of books a month so could get expensive.

Anything better?
MLI
MLI avatar

4406 posts since 6/10/09

19 Sep 2017 10:38
you need books on tape
figurine
figurine avatar

5728 posts since 14/5/07

19 Sep 2017 10:58
illwill wrote: Want to to start listening to audiobooks instead of podcasts.

What's the best setup? Audible is 7.99 a month for a single book. I imagine I would go through a number of books a month so could get expensive.

Anything better?
Could try this if you've a library card https://meet.libbyapp.com/

Equally can probably just torrent a lot of audiobooks.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

677 posts since 15/12/12

21 Sep 2017 15:15
Strange Death Of Europe is a brilliant book. Explains it all.

And Douglas Murray is indeed not a prat. Just because he blames modern terrorism in Europe on the ridiculous EU borderless state.
quest
quest avatar

3222 posts since 11/7/11

25 Sep 2017 17:25
figurine wrote:
illwill wrote: Want to to start listening to audiobooks instead of podcasts.

What's the best setup? Audible is 7.99 a month for a single book. I imagine I would go through a number of books a month so could get expensive.

Anything better?
Could try this if you've a library card https://meet.libbyapp.com/

Equally can probably just torrent a lot of audiobooks.

This, and alternatively Librivox has a big collection that is all free to download.
Trystero
Trystero avatar

1619 posts since 1/8/07

26 Sep 2017 21:03
joeyjojo wrote: Don't think I mentioned on here but I read Middlesex and The Shipping News last year. Both amazing and id definitely recommend. Up there with my favourites.

Both great novels.

I've just finished Swing Time by Zadie Smith (disappointing) and Autumn by Ali Smith (good but not great). About to start All That Man Is by David Szalay.
LFC
LFC avatar

3689 posts since 14/6/11

7 Oct 2017 11:02
menace
menace avatar

1046 posts since 3/5/12

8 Oct 2017 22:42
illwill wrote: Want to to start listening to audiobooks instead of podcasts.

What's the best setup? Audible is 7.99 a month for a single book. I imagine I would go through a number of books a month so could get expensive.

Anything better?
most audiobooks are available to torrent, then you can just whack them on an iPhone/iPod/regular phone
being free is the biggest perk
swiftus
swiftus avatar

762 posts since 1/7/09

5 Jun 2018 20:36
Reading Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall.

Can't recommend enough. Must read if you're interested in global politics and how we got to where we are