Looks like a Self Edge one to me.

http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product;_id=446

Maybe wrong though.

Emixam second one and Zoom Cool
doug.
doug. avatar

1679 posts since 12/6/10

posted 23 Dec 2014 00:36, edited 23 Dec 2014 00:36
serious question, are none of you visvim lot never interested in getting hold of some actual proper vintage clobber. i.e the stuff hiroki takes direct inspiration from, like 20s shawl collar denim USN jackets, duxbak hunting jackets, old service boots stuff like that? I know a lot of you favour vis for the cuts, but imo (and this is prob because proper vintage is my thing) wearing that style in the original cuts looks a lot better…
maybe mil can come in with some sorta input. sayword dont bother Smiling

edit: emixam for instance you seem to be heading that way, adding cabourn and rrl to the mix. think that that's a good evolution of wearing that aesthetic, something that would only be improved by adding some og items to your wardrobe.
phelen
phelen avatar

6498 posts since 16/8/06

23 Dec 2014 01:10
doug. wrote: serious question, are none of you visvim lot never interested in getting hold of some actual proper vintage clobber. i.e the stuff hiroki takes direct inspiration from, like 20s shawl collar denim USN jackets, duxbak hunting jackets, old service boots stuff like that? I know a lot of you favour vis for the cuts, but imo (and this is prob because proper vintage is my thing) wearing that style in the original cuts looks a lot better…

edit: emixam for instance you seem to be heading that way, adding cabourn and rrl to the mix. think that that's a good evolution of wearing that aesthetic, something that would only be improved by adding some og items to your wardrobe.
Probably because vintage are boxy and fit like shit.
doug.
doug. avatar

1679 posts since 12/6/10

23 Dec 2014 01:29
i think that that's quite a narrow minded way of looking at it
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5261 posts since 1/4/07

23 Dec 2014 02:56
Visvim=Lux/materials/craftsmanship/exclusivity.

Repro=exclusivity/durability/craftsmanship

vintage=style/rarity

Lux=Lux
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5261 posts since 1/4/07

23 Dec 2014 03:18
I aint read all the post lolSticking out tongue . Going direct to source is pretty hard to pull of modern day, I mean you really got to be a real negus to pull it off. It's about cuts for most. With vis it's cut and exclusivity.

I wear tenderloin, it repro with eccentricity. It's not trying to be LVC or LEE like most repro brands, its trying to be americana, specifically southern redneck americana. I Live in the south and people dress like tenderloiners with trucker caps, boots, hunting gear, etc. White trash red neck. Even tho I'm black, I blend in and can subvert the style. I grew up off rugged raw hip hop, and Tenderloin is still repro, one of the few street repro brands out besides neighborhood.

Also the older people in the south, this goes for both black and white old southern men; dress like old tenderloinery, baggy denim, work pants, button down workshirts, boots or a nice pair of dress shoes, suspenders, pants damn near hiked up to the stomach. But when they DRESS UP its The. Stylist Japan style: Hard wearing materials like heavy twill, denim, etc. blazers and pants, with workwear button-ups. The Stylist is pretty much The Tenderloins for getting dressy. Old southerners got swag.

I see what vis heads, not the brandwhores, but the ones who are really into it are about. they want that style and they want that process. Just like people into CCP, Harnden, Carpe Deim; philosophy and process. This is why I can respect any style.
Forper
Forper avatar

2080 posts since 29/1/13

posted 23 Dec 2014 04:05, edited 23 Dec 2014 04:05
The BDU is BACK BITCH

situation: hot weather, humidity, rain

w)taps cover
forty percents slinky optics
Masterpiece panel tee
w)taps BDU
w)taps AT boots
w)taps DELTA/ALICE 3rd Gen sling mod (packing gore valet)

Forper
Forper avatar

2080 posts since 29/1/13

posted 23 Dec 2014 04:26, edited 23 Dec 2014 04:26
doug. wrote: serious question, are none of you visvim lot never interested in getting hold of some actual proper vintage clobber. i.e the stuff hiroki takes direct inspiration from, like 20s shawl collar denim USN jackets, duxbak hunting jackets, old service boots stuff like that? I know a lot of you favour vis for the cuts, but imo (and this is prob because proper vintage is my thing) wearing that style in the original cuts looks a lot better…

I have a lot of the actual stuff that helped roll Communism in the '80s and keep down cocksuckers like Saddam in the 90s. It was mass produced to be issued to a million man armed forces, it's rugged, pretty well built but it's not top spec or finessed too much, it's rough around the edges. For example actual US BDUs are heavy and hot, the actual ECWCS jackets have cheap toggles, 80s/90s US PT gear is poly cotton and sucks to run in, I don't have one but I've seen actual British combat smocks and they're cotton, heavy and non waterproof. There's a windproof version which is better but still kinda primitive and raw.

Now all this stuff inspired Tet and Skatething when they were doing w)taps in the early years. Thing is they improved it, BDUs are a better grade of ripstop, lighter and more comfy, cut isn't that much different, maybe a little slimmer than the real, they just feel good to wear, it's finessed in a way that Japanese can do to anything. Their "parasmock", taken off the British smocks is multi layer nylon, much more comfy to wear, better quality, all the hardware is top grade. It's finessed with small in-jokes to their friends in the logos and eccentric flipping of actual military insignia and iconography.

So the finessed Japanese eccentric obsessive version of something is usually more comfortable to wear, higher speced. We know that. But then having that label put you in a club that knows about that shop and that brand. Back in the 90s this had more meaning. It's like having a pair of tier 0 nikes vs GR back then, it feels special.

When I put on an actual pair of woodland BDUs that some Marine used in Panama I feel history, when I put on a pair w)taps BDUs it feels like a club uniform.

"tapskateers"
Forper
Forper avatar

2080 posts since 29/1/13

23 Dec 2014 04:30
*the possible exception to Japanese versions being more functional is the w)taps readypack series. It's heavy, bizarely designed and often uncomfortable to use. But I still use it because it's official club gear and I'm in awe at it's "look" and that it got made at all.
india
india avatar

5665 posts since 31/10/05

23 Dec 2014 08:25
good vintage stuff isnt "boxy and fit like shit".

it costs though and on here where a t shirt thread ended up with bulk orders for 79p t shirts its not really worth getting into to.
deuce
deuce avatar

13836 posts since 21/1/08

23 Dec 2014 09:22
Not just taking a pop at you milspex, as I never do. But those shades don't suit you bro Sad
NigelBenn
NigelBenn avatar

4244 posts since 6/2/08

23 Dec 2014 11:00
Acne
APC
Acne
Stars
NigelBenn
NigelBenn avatar

4244 posts since 6/2/08

23 Dec 2014 11:05
Different bottom half today. Taking the old man to Frith Street to get tattooed.
Acne
Y3
phelen
phelen avatar

6498 posts since 16/8/06

23 Dec 2014 11:34
india wrote: good vintage stuff isnt "boxy and fit like shit".

it costs though and on here where a t shirt thread ended up with bulk orders for 79p t shirts its not really worth getting into to.

Yeah, I apologise, it wasn't the most eloquent of answers.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

4764 posts since 26/9/09

23 Dec 2014 11:42
Y3's look Cool
Forper
Forper avatar

2080 posts since 29/1/13

23 Dec 2014 12:06
deuce wrote: Not just taking a pop at you milspex, as I never do. But those shades don't suit you bro Sad

carefactor: 0
Forper
Forper avatar

2080 posts since 29/1/13

23 Dec 2014 12:16
resupplied with parasmock for situation: cold weather, night-ops

EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6791 posts since 5/6/07

Red oversized cable knit
Levi's
cons (still hunting for some decent boots)
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6791 posts since 5/6/07

And yes they are dinosaur boxers lol
mtthrvy2
mtthrvy2 avatar

1901 posts since 8/11/10

23 Dec 2014 12:21
lol bantersaurus-rex