Menswear: Which watch?


Show original post
Superprecise
Superprecise avatar

2217 posts since 16/7/11

posted 23 Oct 2017 16:29, edited 23 Oct 2017 16:29
To be honest I thought it was white gold which would have made it £25k+, which is an arm and a leg. Steel is less baller obviously. And I get that so-called trinity makers as well Lange and whoever are one or two notches up but that's not really my point. I have two nice watches and even that feels like one too many. I always want to edit down. I guess people are different. And FWIW my question was sincere and wasn't stealth calling fudge a greedy twat.
leemac74
leemac74 avatar

1045 posts since 30/4/08

23 Oct 2017 17:31
New Daytona with ceramic bezel is perfect, better in the flesh.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

2076 posts since 15/12/12

posted 23 Oct 2017 19:09, edited 23 Oct 2017 19:09
Agree…. I guess like most things, owning watches is subjective… considering the watches I own, I actually don’t like SS bracelets, much prefer leather straps.

And I actually think my favourite watch is my Speedmaster Professional.
a
a avatar

394 posts since 14/12/05

23 Oct 2017 19:21
Superprecise wrote: If you have loads of big-hitter watches, how do you enjoy any one of them fully?
I think it gets to a point where some of them are superfluous and don’t really get worn. I have 9 watches and only really wear 5 of them on a regular basis and even out of those i could narrow it down to 3 that get the most wear.

leemac74 wrote: New Daytona with ceramic bezel is perfect, better in the flesh.

My favourite of the current line up is the new white gold Daytona with ceramic bezel on the oysterflex bracelet. I think at some point I’ll sell my Daytona and replace it with one.
leemac74
leemac74 avatar

1045 posts since 30/4/08

posted 23 Oct 2017 20:16, edited 23 Oct 2017 20:16
Great choice, with the new oyster flex strap aswell, hopefully you can buy an oyster flex one day without paying the watch premium as it’s a great strap.

I really want a Panerai but the large face sizes puts me off a bit and unsure of depreciation values on most of their range.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

2076 posts since 15/12/12

23 Oct 2017 20:19
I want another watch.

Someone recommend me one please - up to £15k

I’m bored
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

2076 posts since 15/12/12

23 Oct 2017 20:19
And slightly frunk
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

2076 posts since 15/12/12

23 Oct 2017 20:19
Drunk
burny
burny avatar

6155 posts since 25/5/06

23 Oct 2017 20:32
NickMSM
NickMSM avatar

423 posts since 21/8/13

23 Oct 2017 21:37
leemac74 wrote: I really want a Panerai but the large face sizes puts me off a bit and unsure of depreciation values on most of their range.

Depends how big your wrist is. Mine's 7'' and is absolutely fine with any Panerai. I've had a few and currently have a 372. Long as you don't buy new they don't lose any money. In fact my 372 is worth more now that what I paid used 18 months ago.
shralp-lad
shralp-lad avatar

895 posts since 21/4/11

23 Oct 2017 21:55
When the time comes for another watch it'd have to be an explorer, milgauss or one of these:

DY
DY avatar

9619 posts since 9/6/11

23 Oct 2017 22:02
fudge.dredd wrote: I want another watch.

Someone recommend me one please - up to £15k

I’m bored

blancpain fifty fathoms bathyscaphe
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1603 posts since 24/3/14

24 Oct 2017 00:11
fudge.dredd wrote: I want another watch.

Someone recommend me one please - up to £15k

I’m bored

http://www.vosuk.org/donations/
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

2076 posts since 15/12/12

24 Oct 2017 07:51
sodomgomorra wrote:
fudge.dredd wrote: I want another watch.

Someone recommend me one please - up to £15k

I’m bored

http://www.vosuk.org/donations/

None of those wrists have any watches on them.
a
a avatar

394 posts since 14/12/05

24 Oct 2017 11:56
AP Royal Oak or Patek Aquanaut is what I’d buy with that budget.
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1603 posts since 24/3/14

24 Oct 2017 12:19
I'd get this Daytona

https://goo.gl/kj4rBc
leemac74
leemac74 avatar

1045 posts since 30/4/08

24 Oct 2017 17:28
NickMSM wrote:
leemac74 wrote: I really want a Panerai but the large face sizes puts me off a bit and unsure of depreciation values on most of their range.

Depends how big your wrist is. Mine's 7'' and is absolutely fine with any Panerai. I've had a few and currently have a 372. Long as you don't buy new they don't lose any money. In fact my 372 is worth more now that what I paid used 18 months ago.

Cheers Nick, I’m gonna have a look at 2nd hand
NickMSM
NickMSM avatar

423 posts since 21/8/13

24 Oct 2017 19:00
leemac74 wrote:
NickMSM wrote:
leemac74 wrote: I really want a Panerai but the large face sizes puts me off a bit and unsure of depreciation values on most of their range.

Depends how big your wrist is. Mine's 7'' and is absolutely fine with any Panerai. I've had a few and currently have a 372. Long as you don't buy new they don't lose any money. In fact my 372 is worth more now that what I paid used 18 months ago.

Cheers Nick, I’m gonna have a look at 2nd hand

Good luck. The 'base' models are a good place to start, always hold their money as entry level PAMS.
a
a avatar

394 posts since 14/12/05

24 Oct 2017 20:21
Plus with the base models you don't have to get them serviced by Panerai, unlike the in-house movements. Got properly bent over when I had to take my 312 for a service.
BANKS
BANKS avatar

187 posts since 8/5/14

24 Oct 2017 20:30
shralp-lad wrote: When the time comes for another watch it'd have to be an explorer, milgauss or one of these:


I really like the El Primero, but the way the minute sub dial is partially covered bugs me.