Menswear: Which watch?


Show original post
ismvil
ismvil avatar

1717 posts since 16/9/11

9 May 2021 19:12
No date sub is a classic. Estate agents be damned
smith
smith avatar

11282 posts since 5/5/04

9 May 2021 19:26
I haven't crossed paths with a recruiter since I left uni so going on for 16 years now and an estate agent coming up for a decade. I'll have to take Swedes word for it. Smiling
swede
swede avatar

9697 posts since 21/3/09

posted 9 May 2021 20:21, edited 9 May 2021 20:21
ismvil wrote: No date sub is a classic

undoubtedly, I 100% agree with you - there is a reason it is so popular and has become a status symbol for so many. wear it in good health smith Cool
leemac74
leemac74 avatar

1019 posts since 30/4/08

9 May 2021 20:53
Agreed love my no date sub, clean classic and can be dressed up or down
Gaz
Gaz avatar

2659 posts since 20/10/05

10 May 2021 09:38
RickRude wrote: What watch you got out of interest?

@Swede - just in case you missed it…
swede
swede avatar

9697 posts since 21/3/09

10 May 2021 10:41
Laughing out loud got a seiko and a speedy auto

confirmed poor Oops Cry
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7930 posts since 21/4/05

10 May 2021 12:26
swede wrote: Laughing out loud got a seiko and a speedy auto

confirmed poor Oops Cry

Never even 'got the call' Sad
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1448 posts since 1/7/09

10 May 2021 13:21
This thread gets weirder every time I read it.

You have to convince someone to let you spend £1k+ to buy something?

What a time to be alive.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1944 posts since 30/10/09

10 May 2021 13:28
I don't get why people are so shocked that there's a waiting list for an in demand watch!

Yes some of the shit customers do to get bumped up the queue is sad but its quite simple, demand far outweighs supply so there's a huge premium and £ to be made if you can buy at retail and some people are willing to sacrifice their dignity for such an opportunity.
deuce
deuce avatar

14035 posts since 21/1/08

10 May 2021 13:49
nothing quite screams luxury like sacrificing your dignity for a watch
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4569 posts since 24/8/06

10 May 2021 14:06
Laughing out loud
burny
burny avatar

6014 posts since 25/5/06

posted 10 May 2021 15:07, edited 10 May 2021 15:07
Kadafi39 wrote: I don't get why people are so shocked that there's a waiting list for an in demand watch!

Yes some of the shit customers do to get bumped up the queue is sad but its quite simple, demand far outweighs supply so there's a huge premium and £ to be made if you can buy at retail and some people are willing to sacrifice their dignity for such an opportunity.

There's no way on earth demand outweighs supply without it being enforced.

I might start sending End some pineapples. See if I can't win one of those bloody Launch raffles.
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9516 posts since 17/7/05

10 May 2021 15:15
Just have to look on Chrono24 to see the number of resellers/grey market bods actively selling the latest 'hype' Rolex. Something's definitely broken somewhere!
swede
swede avatar

9697 posts since 21/3/09

10 May 2021 17:34
plenty of back-dooring going on (no jordan's mum)
a
a avatar

349 posts since 14/12/05

10 May 2021 17:54
burny wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: I don't get why people are so shocked that there's a waiting list for an in demand watch!

Yes some of the shit customers do to get bumped up the queue is sad but its quite simple, demand far outweighs supply so there's a huge premium and £ to be made if you can buy at retail and some people are willing to sacrifice their dignity for such an opportunity.

There's no way on earth demand outweighs supply without it being enforced.

I might start sending End some pineapples. See if I can't win one of those bloody Launch raffles.

Funnily reading it did make me think of the offspring Instagram page and the comments etc it attracts. Some of it genuinely makes me cringe.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1448 posts since 1/7/09

11 May 2021 08:22
Kadafi39 wrote: I don't get why people are so shocked that there's a waiting list for an in demand watch!

I don't think the shock comes from the fact there is a waiting list for an in-demand watch (for me at least). It comes from the fact that:

1) There are countless other amazing watch brands out there, but everyone wants the same thing
2) The lengths people are willing to go to for this watch

Is there a club that all Rolex-owners go to, to show their watches? Like a Rolex appreciation society?

Kadafi39 wrote: …demand far outweighs supply so there's a huge premium and £ to be made if you can buy at retail…

But it looks like most people here wearing their watches, rather than flipping them?
smith
smith avatar

11282 posts since 5/5/04

posted 11 May 2021 11:25, edited 11 May 2021 11:25
swiftus wrote: Is there a club that all Rolex-owners go to, to show their watches? Like a Rolex appreciation society?

Rolex forums is good.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1944 posts since 30/10/09

11 May 2021 13:00
swiftus wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: I don't get why people are so shocked that there's a waiting list for an in demand watch!

I don't think the shock comes from the fact there is a waiting list for an in-demand watch (for me at least). It comes from the fact that:

1) There are countless other amazing watch brands out there, but everyone wants the same thing
2) The lengths people are willing to go to for this watch

Is there a club that all Rolex-owners go to, to show their watches? Like a Rolex appreciation society?

Kadafi39 wrote: …demand far outweighs supply so there's a huge premium and £ to be made if you can buy at retail…

But it looks like most people here wearing their watches, rather than flipping them?

There are better brands, but the vast majority of people haven't heard of AP or JLC etc and for them a rolex is a statement piece, because everyone knows what it is and that its expensive.

Fully agree its all social media hype and marketing.

Yeah that's the point though, if you manage to get a SS daytona at retail (or anything else with waiting lists), you could wear it for years and still move it on for a profit.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1944 posts since 30/10/09

11 May 2021 13:02
burny wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: I don't get why people are so shocked that there's a waiting list for an in demand watch!

Yes some of the shit customers do to get bumped up the queue is sad but its quite simple, demand far outweighs supply so there's a huge premium and £ to be made if you can buy at retail and some people are willing to sacrifice their dignity for such an opportunity.

There's no way on earth demand outweighs supply without it being enforced.

I might start sending End some pineapples. See if I can't win one of those bloody Launch raffles.

When you say enforced you mean rolex limiting supply? Yeah they could make enough watches to get rid of the waiting lists but they purposely limit supply to keep interest and resale value high, as far as I can see its worked.
burny
burny avatar

6014 posts since 25/5/06

11 May 2021 15:25
I get that. I’m not having a pop at Rolex. It’s great marketing. It’s the morons that lap it up that need their head checking.