Menswear: Which watch?


Show original post
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1695 posts since 15/12/12

6 Sep 2021 17:37
^ copy and paste the whole thing, sorry something wrong with the link.
Doogan
Doogan avatar

1037 posts since 13/4/14

6 Sep 2021 18:46
fudge.dredd wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote: I tried on a Tudor Black Bay in Watches of Switzerland yesterday and am ready to pull trigger. They said they couldnt do anything on price for me though.

If I go to an indie will they likely do something off the price for me or is it the same across the board?

Go pre-owned and go for the ETA version…. The black they only made for 6 months so getting rarer and increasing in value… Plus no fake rivets like on the newer ones. Plus you get the rose logo on the dial.

I think the ETA version is a bit thinner as well.
smith
smith avatar

11408 posts since 5/5/04

6 Sep 2021 20:48
Went watches of Switzerland earlier and was the only one in there. Tried on loads of watches and my favourite by far was the Cartier Santos.

They almost held me hostage till I bought it but convinced them I'd be back later in the week for it.
R
R avatar

13296 posts since 17/5/03

6 Sep 2021 21:18
don't do it
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1695 posts since 15/12/12

posted 6 Sep 2021 23:04, edited 6 Sep 2021 23:04
Doogan wrote:
fudge.dredd wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote: I tried on a Tudor Black Bay in Watches of Switzerland yesterday and am ready to pull trigger. They said they couldnt do anything on price for me though.

If I go to an indie will they likely do something off the price for me or is it the same across the board?

Go pre-owned and go for the ETA version…. The black they only made for 6 months so getting rarer and increasing in value… Plus no fake rivets like on the newer ones. Plus you get the rose logo on the dial.

I think the ETA version is a bit thinner as well.

Yes it is, I assume due to the ETA movement…. Plus it can be serviced by any decent watchmaker which can reduce service costs.

Here’s a shot of mine.

R
R avatar

13296 posts since 17/5/03

7 Sep 2021 09:39
I know the history and the hype around them over past few years (and almost bought a black bay dark a while back), but can't help but think fake sub every time I see them.
smith
smith avatar

11408 posts since 5/5/04

7 Sep 2021 10:01
Fake sub is a little harsh. BB58 has a better profile than the sub IMO. (thinner and smaller case). More of a vintage look on the Tudors going back to the OG snowflake. Tudor subs from a few years back go for as much as a Rolex sub because of the scarcity of them. Hardly an inferior product.
R
R avatar

13296 posts since 17/5/03

7 Sep 2021 11:02
smith wrote: Fake sub is a little harsh. BB58 has a better profile than the sub IMO. (thinner and smaller case). More of a vintage look on the Tudors going back to the OG snowflake. Tudor subs from a few years back go for as much as a Rolex sub because of the scarcity of them. Hardly an inferior product.

I'm sure from a quality perspective it isn't, but…
Best
Best avatar

9936 posts since 21/10/05

7 Sep 2021 11:14
R is right, Tudor will always be the poor relation.

The beauty of the brand is that you don’t have send an AD pineapples to get what you want.
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

918 posts since 28/2/12

7 Sep 2021 11:26
yea, really want the green harrods one. plus someone wont jump off a moped and try chop my hand off for the watch. brucie bonus
deuce
deuce avatar

14051 posts since 21/1/08

7 Sep 2021 11:30
R wrote: I know the history and the hype around them over past few years (and almost bought a black bay dark a while back), but can't help but think fake sub every time I see them.
Kinda agree. Whenever I see a sub I always think “fake/poor mans fifty fathoms”
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1695 posts since 15/12/12

7 Sep 2021 13:19
I find JLC far superior in almost every way to every Rolex I own.

This has easily become on of my favourites. I find myself regularly rotating between this, the green Panerai Radiomir and Black Bay Sup…. Fancy that…

swede
swede avatar

9868 posts since 21/3/09

7 Sep 2021 13:37
that JLC is very nice tbf
YLAup
YLAup avatar

5730 posts since 5/9/11

7 Sep 2021 15:14
Looks like he's been down Bury New Road
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1695 posts since 15/12/12

7 Sep 2021 16:14
YLAup wrote: Looks like he's been down Bury New Road

Yep met your mother on one of the street corners. She’s really let herself go. She loves the shish kebab it seems.
R
R avatar

13296 posts since 17/5/03

8 Sep 2021 09:28
deuce wrote:
R wrote: I know the history and the hype around them over past few years (and almost bought a black bay dark a while back), but can't help but think fake sub every time I see them.
Kinda agree. Whenever I see a sub I always think “fake/poor mans fifty fathoms”

agreed
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1695 posts since 15/12/12

8 Sep 2021 11:51


Love the green on this
zappa1903
zappa1903 avatar

474 posts since 26/8/14

8 Sep 2021 12:16
Is that the Bentley?

Just joking, lovely watch Cool
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

918 posts since 28/2/12

8 Sep 2021 12:46
Laughing out loud
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1695 posts since 15/12/12

8 Sep 2021 14:34
Nah it’s not the weekend.

It’s just the humble A8.