General Discussion: World Cup 2018

Show original post
LFC
LFC avatar

3740 posts since 14/6/11

7 Jul 2018 20:52
It’s terrible Doogan, unbearable at times. Mongs on it’s coming home rants every day

They’ve played Tunisia, Panama, beaten by the only decent team Belgium, Rodriguezless Columbia, Sweden and are in a semi-final. Surely the easiest route ever to a World Cup semi?

So gutted for Russia but such a great game.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4458 posts since 13/1/10

posted 7 Jul 2018 20:53, edited 7 Jul 2018 20:53
I'm sure the same sort of patriotism is replicated across various countries…

Didn't Argentina's media hold a minutes silence?!

You can always watch an ESPN stream
Doogan
Doogan avatar

513 posts since 13/4/14

posted 7 Jul 2018 21:38, edited 7 Jul 2018 21:38
Razorlight123 wrote: I'm sure the same sort of patriotism is replicated across various countries…

The difference is that Argentinian channels are probably only beamed out in Argentina. My complaint is that British channels should cater for four nations but just really focus on England and don't even hide it. Comments like "everyone back home will delighted." Fuck off. I was spewing.

I'm also fairly certain this wasn't this hysteria when Wales were doing well in the Euro's.

Btw, I totally get why the English should be excited. I just object at the coverage.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3266 posts since 13/1/12

posted 7 Jul 2018 21:57, edited 7 Jul 2018 21:57
Doogan have a day off fella…….Why are you watching England games then if you are spewing if they win? Don’t watch, simple.

Also pretty sure I’ve seen Giggs, McCoist, Kilban, Martín ONeill on the panels and commentary.

LFC - when France won it in 98 Brazil 02 and Italy in 2006 they had pretty easy routes to the final as well.
Doogan
Doogan avatar

513 posts since 13/4/14

7 Jul 2018 22:26
I was watching because I like football! My fiance is also Swedish, so I had a vested interest.

The painfully biased football chat is across most programs including the news, so is hard to escape.

I bet the English would have plenty to say if it was constant Scotland chat (sadly we'll never know because we are shit).
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3266 posts since 13/1/12

posted 7 Jul 2018 22:29, edited 7 Jul 2018 22:29
How is it Biased? We are in the UK and England are in a Semi Final for the first time in 18 years. What should they be saying? Who would you like to see commentating then cos you have Ally McCoist.

Scottish hate English anyway so not suprised you find it painful watching the auld enemy.
Doogan
Doogan avatar

513 posts since 13/4/14

7 Jul 2018 22:44
It's just an odd experience sharing media channels with a bigger nation and getting it non-stop. Something you will never have to experience so not surprised you don't understand.

I'm not sure as many Scottish people dislike the English like they did 20/30 years ago. Not in my experience anyway. I live in Edinburgh so there's no shortage of English people about.
Burt
Burt avatar

5548 posts since 3/1/10

7 Jul 2018 22:46
There ain't no other home nations in the World Cup so it stands to reason that there's gonna be an England bias - fucking hell Laughing out loud

When someone says 'Back Home' it's contextual innit? They mean 'Back Home' in England, the country that the team is representing. If a reporter was talking to a representative of the Scottish squad and referred to 'Back Home' then it'd be Scotland surely.

When Gareth Southgate thanks the support 'Back Home' I doubt that he thinks that Doogan McIrnBrew is sending positive thoughts and willing his team of plucky youngsters on from a flat in the suburbs of Inverness.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3266 posts since 13/1/12

7 Jul 2018 22:49
Scottish Doogan with Swedish wife unhappy English people are getting behind the team
cb3012
cb3012 avatar

26 posts since 14/7/14

7 Jul 2018 23:24
Doogan wrote:
Razorlight123 wrote: I'm sure the same sort of patriotism is replicated across various countries…

The difference is that Argentinian channels are probably only beamed out in Argentina. My complaint is that British channels should cater for four nations but just really focus on England and don't even hide it. Comments like "everyone back home will delighted." Fuck off. I was spewing.

I'm also fairly certain this wasn't this hysteria when Wales were doing well in the Euro's.

Btw, I totally get why the English should be excited. I just object at the coverage.

You're talking bollocks mate.
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3595 posts since 14/8/04

8 Jul 2018 02:06
Any of y'all take note of Van der Sarski during the tournament?
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7150 posts since 21/4/05

8 Jul 2018 06:44
Mccoist said he was celebrating England during his commentary on Rus-cro!
Doogan
Doogan avatar

513 posts since 13/4/14

8 Jul 2018 08:36
I don't have any issue with former English internationals saying 'we' or Gareth Southgate referring to 'back home.' That is all sensible and fair.

My issue is that I can't watch any t.v. program just now which is meant to be made for a British audience without mass hysteria for England. It's just strange seeing as I have my own national team to support which never gets any coverage. The BBC are the worst offenders btw and I have to pay as much as anyone else.

I'll try to avoid the TV for the next week (30 years if England win).

If England do win I'll be pleased for the decent fans. I met loads of sound guys when Scotland played England at Hampden. I don't have anything against England doing well other than hearing about it constantly (bearing in mind I support another country).

Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4458 posts since 13/1/10

posted 8 Jul 2018 09:15, edited 8 Jul 2018 09:15
I kind of get what you're saying, for example BBC breakfast show is quite 'patriotically biased', with the presenters giving it the 'its coming home' at any given opportunity. Although, I'm sure there was some level of support when Wales were doing well in the euros; however, I doubt to the same level as we are experiencing now.

But you have to take into consideration the majority (if not all) the presenters are born and raised in England. Whether this should be the case is another issue…
Doogan
Doogan avatar

513 posts since 13/4/14

8 Jul 2018 09:41
It's a fair point. I guess the fact is that 90% of the TV/radio we get up here is probably made in England.

I know I've came across as a bitter, moaning bastard! I just want to clarify that I'm not sitting here furious that England are doing well at football and I don't actively support anyone but England. It's just the coverage that grates at times.

pentonville
pentonville avatar

366 posts since 12/3/12

8 Jul 2018 15:26
Don´t watch top flight football more than once or twice a season. Is Raheem Sterling really that shit all the time?
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4458 posts since 13/1/10

8 Jul 2018 15:40
I personally don't think England are playing him well, but he does still contribute - just a terrible finisher - which has been his main weakness this season.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

8 Jul 2018 16:10
Would be good if England can make the final, but Weds looks like the end of the line.
snaye
snaye avatar

10661 posts since 24/10/02

8 Jul 2018 17:01
Have you watched Croatia in the last 2 games?

Not much to fear imo
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

8 Jul 2018 19:01
Did you see them against Arg?