rural avatar

17541 posts since 26/9/06

21 Jun 2018 19:48
Dear oh dear
Sheppy
Sheppy avatar

293 posts since 2/3/08

21 Jun 2018 20:26
I enjoyed that, Croatia were great looking like a dark horse but Argentina were hopeless!
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23634 posts since 14/10/04

21 Jun 2018 20:30
Big opp for Nigeria now
swiftus
swiftus avatar

762 posts since 1/7/09

21 Jun 2018 20:42
Tonight has made me question how good Messi actually is. I mean, take his Barca teammates away, how good is he?

This is coming after thinking he is, by no doubt, the greatest footballer I've ever seen. First time I've ever doubted him.
eazypz
eazypz avatar

2992 posts since 16/4/10

21 Jun 2018 20:45
According to the stats, he had 25 touches in the first half.
It doesn’t matter if you’re the best, if you’re not getting the service you’re not gonna be able to do anything.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4416 posts since 13/1/10

posted 21 Jun 2018 20:50, edited 21 Jun 2018 20:50
Nigeria need to f**king fix up tomorrow!

And stop doing shaku shaku in their hotel and focus.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

762 posts since 1/7/09

21 Jun 2018 20:52
eazypz wrote: According to the stats, he had 25 touches in the first half.
It doesn’t matter if you’re the best, if you’re not getting the service you’re not gonna be able to do anything.

No doubt, but he's not Aguero, who is expected to stay up there. Shouldn't he be expected to adapt his game, play a little deeper?

This article is Interesting…he covered less ground than some goalkeepers (without the ball)!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/20/lionel-messi-sun-king-argentina-blind-world-cup

Anto
Anto avatar

3555 posts since 19/1/12

posted 21 Jun 2018 22:29, edited 21 Jun 2018 22:29
Sheppy wrote: This world cup is starting to disappoint, been one great game and a handful of decent ones the rest have been awful. Lets hope things start to pick up.

This!

All big teams matches have been awful so far when they play against a smaller team. As much as I would love Iran to beat Spain, or Peru France, those matches have been painful to watch. And some other matches with smaller teams involved have been awful as well. See Denmark - Australia or Sweden - South Korea…a 0-0 can be much more interesting…

On the Messi topic, he definitely failed again this time with Argentina, but in honesty he can't step up and solve the problems of a team which is shit. He could play deeper, I think he tried too, but then he's much less dangerous than he should be starting from there and not being where he should. The team is just a bunch of alright players with no ideas and an hopeless manager who isn't able to choose the right system and starting eleven for the second time in three days. How's Di Maria and Dybala are on the bench and Acuna and Salvio playing? Banega or Biglia aren't better than Perez? Their defence is embarassing, not to mention their keeper, and Icardi is at home watching them…

Portugal, as the comparison with Ronaldo is obvious, is overall a much better team, with a manager with clear ideas in mind, as basic and not spectacular as they can be, and the right players to put them into practice. A team where a champion like CR7 can be the cherry on the cake
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2473 posts since 11/6/08

22 Jun 2018 09:01
eazypz wrote: According to the stats, he had 25 touches in the first half.

This is why Argentinians rate Maradona as being infinitely better than Messi as he genuinely did single handedly win games, titles, world cup etc. both for Argentina & Napoli.

People make a big deal about how much better the overall standard is these days but they forget in Maradona's day they literally used to kick lumps out of him so hard to say which is the more difficult era to perform in.

Anto wrote:
Sheppy wrote: This world cup is starting to disappoint, been one great game and a handful of decent ones the rest have been awful. Lets hope things start to pick up.

This!

All big teams matches have been awful so far when they play against a smaller team. As much as I would love Iran to beat Spain, or Peru France, those matches have been painful to watch. And some other matches with smaller teams involved have been awful as well. See Denmark - Australia or Sweden - South Korea…a 0-0 can be much more interesting…

On the Messi topic, he definitely failed again this time with Argentina, but in honesty he can't step up and solve the problems of a team which is shit. He could play deeper, I think he tried too, but then he's much less dangerous than he should be starting from there and not being where he should. The team is just a bunch of alright players with no ideas and an hopeless manager who isn't able to choose the right system and starting eleven for the second time in three days. How's Di Maria and Dybala are on the bench and Acuna and Salvio playing? Banega or Biglia aren't better than Perez? Their defence is embarassing, not to mention their keeper, and Icardi is at home watching them…

Portugal, as the comparison with Ronaldo is obvious, is overall a much better team, with a manager with clear ideas in mind, as basic and not spectacular as they can be, and the right players to put them into practice. A team where a champion like CR7 can be the cherry on the cake

Agree re. Icardi, Di Maria, Dybala etc. etc. but you can't say their starting 11 is rubbish as it's littered with elite players plying their trades in the top teams around the world. Player for player they are better than most teams in the WC (better than Portugal for me) but WC football is a different beast and you need big personalities to step up. Argentina's tactics yesterday were arrogant & they underestimated how important Croatia's two centre midfielders are & how they would control & dictate the game.

Messi is the most gifted player of our generation by a considerable distance and I love watching him in a Barca shirt as he does things nobody else can do & on a regular basis but is he the the best / most important player in the world? Not for me, and certainly not GOAT as he's not a leader and last night you could see by his body language he (and most of his teammates) had given up at 1-0.

Didn't he retire from International duty a few years ago when they lost to Chile in the Copa America final?
smith
smith avatar

10771 posts since 5/5/04

posted 22 Jun 2018 09:26, edited 22 Jun 2018 09:26
I missed last nights game. Only because the two earlier games bored me to tears so I went out instead. Regretted it when I got home and saw the score Cry

Couple of games earlier in the week weren't much craic either. Think my interest is only going to reach the knockout phases when the WC gets bigger. Games like Luxembourg V San Marino not going to have football fans grabbing for the remote.
Burt
Burt avatar

5478 posts since 3/1/10

22 Jun 2018 16:41
Nigeria's confidence is up. Great to watch when they're on song. Good second half.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

762 posts since 1/7/09

22 Jun 2018 17:11
Burt wrote: Nigeria's confidence is up. Great to watch when they're on song. Good second half.

Looking forward to Nigeria vs. Argentina now, both teams could be hit or miss
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4416 posts since 13/1/10

22 Jun 2018 20:44
Shaqiri always brings his A-game. Great player
menace
menace avatar

1045 posts since 3/5/12

23 Jun 2018 01:01
Razorlight123 wrote: Shaqiri always brings his A-game. Great player
Apart from from most weekends when he's back to his fat, arrogant self
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23634 posts since 14/10/04

23 Jun 2018 04:22
Super Eagles Cool
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4416 posts since 13/1/10

23 Jun 2018 08:02
Tuesday is going to be a 'Deadly Day'.

It's either that Messi finally turns up, or we completely shut them down and Argentina get proper frustrated (Otamendi red card)
smith
smith avatar

10771 posts since 5/5/04

23 Jun 2018 14:08
Allez les Belges!
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3585 posts since 14/8/04

23 Jun 2018 16:28
was thinking that during the France Peru match. we may not have guido's dearth of talent, but the talent that the players do possess rarely comes out due to the physicality of the game these days. probably just means I'm just getting old..
smith wrote: Allez les Belges!
double that! would love to see Martinez win it for em

and assuming nigeria does argentina and Ronnie scores a brace or better, a serious suicide watch should be in effect for Messi
Burt
Burt avatar

5478 posts since 3/1/10

23 Jun 2018 18:03
Sweden gonna have to soak up loads this evening to get a result. Germany already looking like a different team than the one that played against Mexico.
Burt
Burt avatar

5478 posts since 3/1/10

23 Jun 2018 18:12
DEFFO a pen.