General Discussion: World Cup 2014


Show original post
Foxtrot
Foxtrot avatar

2466 posts since 8/4/09

15 Jun 2014 11:54
Razorlight123 wrote: I thought he was lively on the ball, didn't really make serious impact - but saying he was awful is harsh.

Same as the criticsms of Rooney
MoB
MoB avatar

36711 posts since 31/8/04

15 Jun 2014 11:56
carl lewis wrote:
MoB wrote: Awful? Do explain

Didn't you see see his attempted pass to Jack from 5 yards really summed up his game.

Another header he attempted looked like a full man kid.

you chat so much shit it's ridiculous
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23649 posts since 14/10/04

15 Jun 2014 11:59
Targeting Wayne alone very harsh.

Roy will pay for leaving Cashley
padawan
padawan avatar

4086 posts since 27/6/03

15 Jun 2014 12:00
james_fox wrote: rooney ran the furthest out of all the england players in the first half so i don't think you can question his desire, he just wasn't suited to the role he was asked to play. if he puts that chance away everyone says how well he played in an unfamiliar role, making one and scoring one.

henderson was solid considering him and gerrard were up against three of the best midfielders at the world cup - all italy's attacks came down the left or lofted over his head by pirlo so he played well IMO.

nobody is hyping really, just pleasantly surprised that we passed it so well and looked like a dangerous team for the first time in years…


Rooney WAS our only true world cup player, did you see him trying to get past De Rossi in the second half? he was blowing like an old man, He ran the furthest cos he was trying to get involved this says it all, He just doesnt fit into the team.
That corner? His tracking back? or the fact he slows play down play? or his lack of goal sharpness? He is an excellent premiership player but cant adapt to different approach to the game. I agree either play him thru the centre or bench him.
Henderson was in and out of the game and against a organized midfield he really needed to show more.
Nobody was hyping right up until a few days before…then it inevitably kicked in.


carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23649 posts since 14/10/04

15 Jun 2014 12:00
MoB wrote:
carl lewis wrote:
MoB wrote: Awful? Do explain

Didn't you see see his attempted pass to Jack from 5 yards really summed up his game.

Another header he attempted looked like a full man kid.

you chat so much shit it's ridiculous

Can you tell me what he did well then?

LFC have saved 25m
james_fox
james_fox avatar

541 posts since 1/8/10

15 Jun 2014 12:03
billybrown wrote: Why Harry didn't get the job I don't know.

fucking lol
MoB
MoB avatar

36711 posts since 31/8/04

15 Jun 2014 12:04
He won two free kicks on the edge of the box, his touch on the turn was really goo(as mentioned by someone else earlier). In 10 minutes he helped the left hand side and gave baines a chance to get forward.
You irrationally don't like him, or did he fuck your boyfriend or something?
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4486 posts since 13/1/10

posted 15 Jun 2014 12:07, edited 15 Jun 2014 12:07
Basically the only issues I saw for England in that game were from:

1) Baines: wasn't really his fault as whoever was on his wing couldn't be arsed to help him track back, so he was left out of position for the second goal. But in such a case experienced Cashley would know how to handle such. But again can't say he was truly at fault.

2) Rooney: can't really leave him out, but even when he does play in his favoured position he has never had that mad energy of Euro 2004 where he bossed Zidane and co. But it's a big risk to drop him for Urugauay game.

If you do drop Rooney a potential forward formation:

- - - Sturridge - - - -
Milner - Sterling - Welbeck

No one hypes Milner but he is such an experienced player and creative player and works well defensively.

All in all England did well, but I feel Italy if they wanted to could've gone another gear but allowed you to play with the ball after 2-1. As nothing really was being created.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot avatar

2466 posts since 8/4/09

15 Jun 2014 12:13
padawan wrote:
james_fox wrote: rooney ran the furthest out of all the england players in the first half so i don't think you can question his desire, he just wasn't suited to the role he was asked to play. if he puts that chance away everyone says how well he played in an unfamiliar role, making one and scoring one.

henderson was solid considering him and gerrard were up against three of the best midfielders at the world cup - all italy's attacks came down the left or lofted over his head by pirlo so he played well IMO.

nobody is hyping really, just pleasantly surprised that we passed it so well and looked like a dangerous team for the first time in years…


Rooney WAS our only true world cup player, did you see him trying to get past De Rossi in the second half? he was blowing like an old man, He ran the furthest cos he was trying to get involved this says it all, He just doesnt fit into the team.
That corner? His tracking back? or the fact he slows play down play? or his lack of goal sharpness? He is an excellent premiership player but cant adapt to different approach to the game. I agree either play him thru the centre or bench him.
Henderson was in and out of the game and against a organized midfield he really needed to show more.
Nobody was hyping right up until a few days before…then it inevitably kicked in.

come off it man. all this criticism is unjustified. he played well. he was on the left wing and adapted to that position for a player who is not a defensively minded. he created a brilliant goal for sturridge and looked sharp. i mean if you want the best out of him, play him in the hole, i agree. there really isnt a discussion here. still use the same starting but play rooney in the middle. all this criticism of rooney is typical of the english. as someone said above, if he scores that chance in the second half - then its a completely different story.
james_fox
james_fox avatar

541 posts since 1/8/10

15 Jun 2014 12:15
for the next game it'll be the same starting 11 if everyone's fit but rooney in the centre, welbeck on the left, sterling on the right.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23649 posts since 14/10/04

15 Jun 2014 12:16
MoB wrote: He won two free kicks on the edge of the box, his touch on the turn was really goo(as mentioned by someone else earlier). In 10 minutes he helped the left hand side and gave baines a chance to get forward.
You irrationally don't like him, or did he fuck your boyfriend or something?

No hate against him on that level, just not ready at this level yet.

Good season at saints yes, but need him do over two season for me and used in Euro qualifiers.

Lamps should of come on for me due of inexperience Jack and Lallana.

Pirlo was pretty much left to as do he pleased.
Foxtrot
Foxtrot avatar

2466 posts since 8/4/09

posted 15 Jun 2014 12:17, edited 15 Jun 2014 12:17
video of this bossing of zidane please..

Baines was at fault for that second goal. he was out with the fairies. jag should have given him a shout to drop and if so the italian winger wouldnt have got the cross in that led to future arsenal star's header
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4486 posts since 13/1/10

15 Jun 2014 12:18
I don think you can ask more from Rooney in that game (expect score that chance). But obviously I assume as an England supporter you expect to see him continually shine during games à la Sterling.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4486 posts since 13/1/10

posted 15 Jun 2014 12:19, edited 15 Jun 2014 12:19
Foxtrot wrote: video of this bossing of zidane please..

Baines was at fault for that second goal. he was out with the fairies. jag should have given him a shout to drop and if so the italian winger wouldnt have got the cross in that led to future arsenal star's header

Rooney was a terror during France v England in the euros! I'm sure he juggled the ball over Zidanes head (maybe it was Thuram) but i meant as a collective anyway - Rooney was exceptionally good during that period.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4486 posts since 13/1/10

posted 15 Jun 2014 12:21, edited 15 Jun 2014 12:21
carl lewis wrote:
MoB wrote: He won two free kicks on the edge of the box, his touch on the turn was really goo(as mentioned by someone else earlier). In 10 minutes he helped the left hand side and gave baines a chance to get forward.
You irrationally don't like him, or did he fuck your boyfriend or something?

No hate against him on that level, just not ready at this level yet.

Good season at saints yes, but need him do over two season for me and used in Euro qualifiers.

Lamps should of come on for me due of inexperience Jack and Lallana.

Pirlo was pretty much left to as do he pleased.

They purposely let Pirlo have the ball man, better to close down the runners and close gaps than come out of position and lose shape - letting Pirlo slip one in. His pin-point quick passing is too deadly.
Noble Locks
Noble Locks avatar

66963 posts since 10/7/03

posted 15 Jun 2014 12:24, edited 15 Jun 2014 12:24
Roy Hodgson is probably the best manager england have had (i refuse to call them 'we') since sven or capello imho. Genius.
Wheres smith? He will be optimistic and say we will win the next two game ten nil. Cool
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23649 posts since 14/10/04

15 Jun 2014 12:25
"De Rossi and Pirlo helped Italy set a World Cup record last night. The highest pass completion rate of any side in a WC since 1966 (93.2%)."
james_fox
james_fox avatar

541 posts since 1/8/10

15 Jun 2014 12:27
carl lewis wrote: "De Rossi and Pirlo helped Italy set a World Cup record last night. The highest pass completion rate of any side in a WC since 1966 (93.2%)."

ours was 91%, which is the second highest of the WC so far - behind italy
billybrown
billybrown avatar

3115 posts since 30/9/07

posted 15 Jun 2014 12:28, edited 15 Jun 2014 12:28
I might have mentioned this before, but madness not picking terry and ashley, that's 3/4s of one Europe's best defences.

Stats can only tell you so much, actual performance and how effective those passes are what count. You can dress up the shittest teams to be half-decent with stats. Only one stat matters in the end.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4486 posts since 13/1/10

15 Jun 2014 12:29
Agreed. But Terry don't wanna does he?!