General Discussion: Students Study, Loans & School Or University, Chat, Discussion & Query Thread!!


Show original post
hdsy-
hdsy- avatar

3904 posts since 30/4/06

30 Nov 2010 15:23
jobs specs are also massively underspecified at the moment. plenty ask for just a 2:1 first degree, but they are getting applications from phds and people with loads of experience. must be demoralising if you are a graduate and aren't even getting asked to any interviews.
phelen
phelen avatar

6744 posts since 16/8/06

30 Nov 2010 15:33
Guido wrote:
Hello World wrote: Well I made massive sacrifices (staying at home) so I left uni with no debts (actually around +£6k after my placement year), and I was still able to get a decent job.

I think paying off 10k of debt is possible with a £25k plus job, even better if you can just do you first job living from home until it is all paid off.

Hopefully the large debt and the time taken to pay it off and what else you could have bought with it will make people focus on thier studies and consider going to university with more care.

I dont think anyone with a 1st struggles to get a job, even in todays climate.

Wrong to an extent as my girlfriend has a 1st and a masters and has been struggling like mad to get something in her chosen field. The problem is lack of experience because with so many people going for the jobs which similar qualifications the ones with proven experience will generally get the job even if you've interviewed well.
Exactly the same situation with my other half's sister who's extremely talented but just can't seem to find a way in the door.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

8056 posts since 21/4/05

30 Nov 2010 15:57
And who can generally get the work exp while at Uni (now its likely to be unpaid)? The people with wealthy parents that can support them so they dont need to take paid work during their studies (and also more likely to get better grades due to more time studying/not working in a club until 3am).

I know there isnt really another way, apart from to enforce the minimum wage somehow meaning less vacancies but it still sucks!
Hi-Definition
Hi-Definition avatar

1703 posts since 6/12/08

30 Nov 2010 16:17
Duffman or Timmbo have either of you been into Appleton tower this week? People are having a sit in protest and by the looks of it have been there for a few days, They named it the free republic of Apple Tower Laughing out loud
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12174 posts since 7/3/05

30 Nov 2010 16:20
More course should come with placement years, that way you get paid (to help out with debts) and you have 1 years experience in your chosen field immedaitely.

If the course doesn't offer a placement year, then you have to look at whether there is an applicable job market for the degree anyway. You can tell this before you even apply to your course.

I actually went to work for my placement year company immediately after I finished my exams, I went back to do my phd after one year, but to any other employer you have two years experience and you are away!

Big companies like IBM even do them so there are hundreds of different types of courses that can apply.

http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk/industrial-placements/apply_now.html

Of course you need to be on for a 2:1 or 1st, but that is what you need for a career anyway.

I worked over the entire summer and a few hours per week for an accountancy firm, this was pre minimum wage but pulled in a few grand per year for going out and stuff. this was on top of a 30+ hour lecture week.
stelfox
stelfox avatar

8488 posts since 11/3/09

30 Nov 2010 17:11
Science and engineering degrees you shouldnt be doing unpaid work in the summers, there are loads of placements out there

If you want to go into finance a summer placement seems to be a huge boost to your chances of getting a job

Having got a 2.2 id advise people to work for the 2.1
takinglives
takinglives avatar

565 posts since 13/10/05

30 Nov 2010 17:16
I know it's obvious but anyone thinking of going to uni really needs to be doing it for the right reasons.

I didn't really want to go because I was sick of education but was more or less pushed into it because "you can't not go when you've got 3 A's at A Level". Ended up on a shit course because I was only predicted 3 C's but went anyway. Had the best time of my life in terms of drinking, mates, sports teams, women etc but just wasn't motivated to go to lectures. 3 years later I dropped out (kicked out!) at the start of the 3rd year. No degree, owe about £12,000 in student loans and because I'm in a relatively shitty job I'm paying it back at about £40pm. Cry

Yeah I know, csb and all that shit

87
87 avatar

3357 posts since 21/6/08

30 Nov 2010 17:43
Hello World wrote: anyone on here who is at uni, been recently like to comment on how much money they spent on living in comparison to fees?

eg £3k fees £6k+ per year on accommodation, living etc.

just it seems to me that everyone is overlooking living costs in the whole debt mountain thing.

if people re desperate to go to uni they could just go to the one in there home town? that would save 18 to 20k?

I'm not sure how much I spend on living, but I get £70 a week and most weeks don't really spend over that unless I'm buying clothes or going out a lot in which case I pay out of my savings.

I got 5K London loan (I thought I could get 6 but obviously not) for accommodation and obviously 3.5K for fees.
gawkrodger
gawkrodger avatar

7656 posts since 4/11/08

30 Nov 2010 18:05
@ Hello World

but surely you want to go to the best place you can - My hometown has a shite 'university'

I wanted to go to one of the best in the world, which pretty much meant London or Oxbridge.

And aside from that, why should those who aren't rich be confined to their locale?
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14389 posts since 21/2/07

30 Nov 2010 18:09
Hello World wrote: More course should come with placement years, that way you get paid (to help out with debts) and you have 1 years experience in your chosen field immedaitely.

If the course doesn't offer a placement year, then you have to look at whether there is an applicable job market for the degree anyway. You can tell this before you even apply to your course.

I actually went to work for my placement year company immediately after I finished my exams, I went back to do my phd after one year, but to any other employer you have two years experience and you are away!

Big companies like IBM even do them so there are hundreds of different types of courses that can apply.

http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk/industrial-placements/apply_now.html

Of course you need to be on for a 2:1 or 1st, but that is what you need for a career anyway.

I worked over the entire summer and a few hours per week for an accountancy firm, this was pre minimum wage but pulled in a few grand per year for going out and stuff. this was on top of a 30+ hour lecture week.

While this is sensible, I think it should also be said that there is value in education in itself and that going to to uni to learn doesn't HAVE to be about how good a job you get afterwards.
deuce
deuce avatar

14089 posts since 21/1/08

30 Nov 2010 18:15
im glad the fees are going up, it'll stop everyone going to uni for the social aspect. someone studying medicine isnt going to be put off, whereas someone whos studying psychology or philosophy (make up 99% of all uni students) would be.
also, it seems that quite a few people who go to uni expect to leave uni, and instantly earn 100k a year, living the high life. it might also encourage people to study in their own cities as they can live at home, rather than purposely applying for unis in cities purposely because they have a good nightlife.
going from the students on here alone, shows how much of a pisstake it is. dont understand how any of you can moan about fees when you're spunking your money that is supposed to go towards your education on new clothes/drink. then nuff students take a 'gap yaaar' and go travelling, racking up even more debt, really is cloud cuckoo land.
Trystero
Trystero avatar

1633 posts since 1/8/07

30 Nov 2010 18:18
phelen wrote:
Guido wrote:
Hello World wrote: I dont think anyone with a 1st struggles to get a job, even in todays climate.

Wrong to an extent as my girlfriend has a 1st and a masters and has been struggling like mad to get something in her chosen field. The problem is lack of experience because with so many people going for the jobs which similar qualifications the ones with proven experience will generally get the job even if you've interviewed well.
Exactly the same situation with my other half's sister who's extremely talented but just can't seem to find a way in the door.

Similar story to me. I have a First Class BA (Hons) degree and two separate MA degrees (both with Distinction) and am struggling to establish a career in my chosen field. I'm professionally qualified, and have a year's worth of experience from a graduate traineeship that I did, but it doesn't seem to be enough to get a foot in the door anywhere.

I got through university without too much debt, as I worked part-time throughout my undergrad studies and got scholarships for my postgrad courses that covered fees and living expenses. I still owe quite a bit though and really can't see myself being able to pay it back anytime soon when I'm currently having to apply for entry-level paraprofessional roles with 16k starting salaries.

DuffMan wrote: I think it should also be said that there is value in education in itself and that going to to uni to learn doesn't HAVE to be about how good a job you get afterwards.

This is what I am desperately clinging on to at the moment Laughing out loud

I do feel a bit angry and cheated but I'm sure I'll find a job eventually, even if I have to move abroad to get it. I feel much sorrier for the current generation of kids who want to go on into HE but will struggle to afford it because they come from poorer backgrounds. With the loss of EMA there will be those who'll find it hard enough to support themselves through college, let alone pay the kinds of top-up fees that will be in place if they ever get to university. Only good thing to come out of this mess is all the student hate for the Con-Dem government…
hdsy-
hdsy- avatar

3904 posts since 30/4/06

30 Nov 2010 18:28
you can do distance learning courses at the university of london so you don't actually need to live there

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/prospective_students/listing/index.shtml

reckon the top london unis and oxbridge are going to go private anyway
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12174 posts since 7/3/05

30 Nov 2010 18:36
DuffMan wrote:
Hello World wrote: More course should come with placement years, that way you get paid (to help out with debts) and you have 1 years experience in your chosen field immedaitely.

If the course doesn't offer a placement year, then you have to look at whether there is an applicable job market for the degree anyway. You can tell this before you even apply to your course.

I actually went to work for my placement year company immediately after I finished my exams, I went back to do my phd after one year, but to any other employer you have two years experience and you are away!

Big companies like IBM even do them so there are hundreds of different types of courses that can apply.

http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk/industrial-placements/apply_now.html

Of course you need to be on for a 2:1 or 1st, but that is what you need for a career anyway.

I worked over the entire summer and a few hours per week for an accountancy firm, this was pre minimum wage but pulled in a few grand per year for going out and stuff. this was on top of a 30+ hour lecture week.

While this is sensible, I think it should also be said that there is value in education in itself and that going to to uni to learn doesn't HAVE to be about how good a job you get afterwards.


I agree in principle but the argument here is that everyone should get "one free" 3 year education career training? If I want another professional qualification for instance I am thinking about doing doing a CFA level 1 just for fun to broaden my business skills and that will cost around 2k for self study plus exams.

Should I get that for free?

What if someone does 1 degree tries to get a job, can't do they get to have another go for free?
swede
swede avatar

10140 posts since 21/3/09

30 Nov 2010 18:40
to whoever asked how much we live off

my parents pay accomodation and my maintenance loan gets me £15 a day to spend on everything else like food, going out, drinking etc etc.. i think its about right, can eat healthy still and go out a lot.. doesnt leave much for clothes but maybe next term i wont be going out as much as i have been this term.. 3-4 times a week…
Dasein
Dasein avatar

1428 posts since 1/11/09

30 Nov 2010 18:43
Jordan wrote: im glad the fees are going up, it'll stop everyone going to uni for the social aspect. someone studying medicine isnt going to be put off, whereas someone whos studying psychology or philosophy (make up 99% of all uni students) would be.

99% of students are philosophy and psychology students?! where did you get your statistics?

willesdengreen
willesdengreen avatar

653 posts since 10/6/10

30 Nov 2010 18:47
and 100% of philosophy and psychology students are only going to uni "for the social aspect", apparently Puzzled
AAA
AAA avatar

10013 posts since 15/12/02

30 Nov 2010 18:51
deuce
deuce avatar

14089 posts since 21/1/08

30 Nov 2010 18:58
slight exaggeration maybe, point still made.
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12174 posts since 7/3/05

30 Nov 2010 18:59
you graduated yet AAA?